Sign in to follow this  

250 or 450 Beginner class??

I'm 25 years old and currently riding a 450f.

I want to try racing the beginner class next season and i'm not sure if I should race in the 250f or the 450f class.

The 450f is alot of bike on the track and seems to tire you out quicker, I havent tried a 250f yet but i've heard you can go longer on the track and its easier to ride.

Now i've heard that the 250f beginner class is much more competitive than the 450f, since the 450f class is more older people which are less likely to use you as traction if you under jump.

What are your opinions between these 2 classes??

(I'm considering trading in the 450f for a 250f but this dilemma is a big factor in my decision).

Man, there's a lot of factors involved but I would probably stick with the 450 since you've already been riding one. I think you'll spend every penny searching for ways to modify that 250 to gain hp. If your just racing beginner (not C class) I'd stick to the big bike. The 250c class is usually stacked with riders and usually a few sandbagging B riders out for blood, who cares as long as your having fun.

where in Ontario are ya? depends on the tracks you will be racing?

i went from a 450 to a 250 2t and am now loving racing my 250f. for my local track the 250f is the perfect bike and our club races are open cc classes. i race the vet class so any cc goes. i have no problem beating 450's or 250 2t's.

how big are you? do you really need the 450? i find that most people who ride a 450 would never use the 250 to its full potential.

there are many factors, give us more details and we can give ya some better insight

i grew up racing in Ontario. Sand del lee was my home track.

I'm 5'11" and weight 165 pounds,

I definitely do not use the 450 to its full potential on the tracks, but mind you this is my first summer on a track and still just getting the hang of things.

I'm from northern Ontario but will be racing the southwest tracks, such as grand bend, RJ motorsports, Hiawartha, Gopher Dunes, Walton, etc... probably in the CMX club.

I'm assuming i'll get faster lap times on a 250f due to its nimbleness, but a little worried i'll get smashed up by sandbaggers and kids who dont have to worry about going to work the next day.

I've been riding trails and pits for a good part of my life and use to have a 96 CR250 which was awesome, but tracks are a whole new world and I'm sticking with the 4 stroke.

I want the excitment of racing but I realize that i'm not gonna go anywhere with it and just want to race for fun and would like to be in a group of people who are in the same boat (competitive yet respectful).

Just stick with the 450F. Sure it's not going to force you to work on carrying more speed though corners etc, but you already have it and you will miss it when it's gone.

Man, there's a lot of factors involved but I would probably stick with the 450 since you've already been riding one. I think you'll spend every penny searching for ways to modify that 250 to gain hp. If your just racing beginner (not C class) I'd stick to the big bike. The 250c class is usually stacked with riders and usually a few sandbagging B riders out for blood, who cares as long as your having fun.

^^^ Take this as gospel.👍 If you're just starting out, I am positive you would have way more fun in the 450 class. Good for you for giving it a shot. :smashpc:

I dont race either but would love to try it. I also have a 450. I assumed I would race the "C" class. Isnt that novice or beginner?

Technically yes. Some people don't understand that though, so you will find people that could win A class in the C class. Aka, everyone that makes it to Loretta Lynn's in the C class is a hardcore sand bagger.

Reviving this thread. Same idea here but older (48), pretty good trail rider, novice MX. I can clear most of the jumps, just not the big doubles and triples and I'm not that fast in and out of the corners. Took my 05 RMZ 450 to the local practice track, had a blast but after 12-15 laps it was really kicking my butt. I'd like to give MX a go, not interested in points or anything like that, just having fun. Keep the 450 or downgrade to 250 4 stroke or even a 125 2 stroke?

Reviving this thread. Same idea here but older (48), pretty good trail rider, novice MX. I can clear most of the jumps, just not the big doubles and triples and I'm not that fast in and out of the corners. Took my 05 RMZ 450 to the local practice track, had a blast but after 12-15 laps it was really kicking my butt. I'd like to give MX a go, not interested in points or anything like that, just having fun. Keep the 450 or downgrade to 250 4 stroke or even a 125 2 stroke?

How long are your local motos? Mine are all 15+1 which is usually 8 laps or so (novice) depending on the track. If I could go balls to walls for 12-15 laps i would be a happy dude haha.

I race open cc. Most of the bikes are 450's, I ride a 250. The 450's have an advantage on two of our tracks because they can just mash the gas on the long strait parts but that only seems to matter in the novice classes. Higher up the riders are good enough to over come that with corner speed on the smaller bikes. One of the top 3 guys in our 40+ expert class rides a 125 and has to weight 180-200lbs.

Edited by D4N63R

How long are your local motos? Mine are all 15+1 which is usually 8 laps or so (novice) depending on the track. If I could go balls to walls for 12-15 laps i would be a happy dude haha.

I don't know. How would you find that out? I also have no idea how you get #'s, do you pick your own or do they assign you one?

I don't know. How would you find that out? I also have no idea how you get #'s, do you pick your own or do they assign you one?

For my group you just pick one. But it's not some fancy AMA sanctioned racing or anything.