Sign in to follow this  

frame design...need info

can anyone chime in and give me any info they can on frame design and construction? I'm not going to be doing any of the welding or bending, but I will be setting up a design. Topics about rake, trail, wheel diameter, rigidity, center of mass, ride height, and even into suspension design considerations would be helpful.

I want to start looking at designing a frame. I know what areas i need to look into, but i need more detailed info, idea's, and suggestions from people who have had experience with it.

Purpose of the frame will be street use, upright position. Similiar to supermoto.

thanks in advance.

i already own that book and i've already read it. Its good information for sure, but it doesnt tell you anything about what types of frame designs are good for what you want to do.

Sure, if you want a mx frame, you dont set the rake at 40 degrees, obviously. But is it better to have 27 degrees, or say, 29 or 25 degrees?

Same thing for trail, if you want a cruiser set the frame up with a long trail. But how do you hone in on good design numbers? What dimensions are good, what are bad? What have other people tried?

For that matter, i really would like to know what the frame dimensions are of a mondern day 4 stroke mxer. If anyone knows where i can find that info it would be a big help.

You can usually find head angle and trail for most MX bikes in the spec sheets or manuals. With that, you can then research what handling nuances of each individual and come to some conclusions about it. The differences between bikes like the '10+ YZ450 and the RM250 that turn on a dime and those like the '06 and earlier YZ450 that made you fight understeer on turn-in are very subtle. All of the MX'ers I know of have head angles between 26.5 and 27.2. The R1, by contrast is around 24, depending on the year model.

I would try to contact someone at a place like Compu-trac to find numbers for the wheelbase, rake and trail. They could probably give you a good starting point. But there will be a long way to go from there. Good luck with your project!