Sign in to follow this  

Please help! I can't keep kicking this thing

Hey everybody. I'm new to the board, but y'all have helped me out a bunch already just from reading "thanks". Anyway here is my problem, I just got a 96xr600. When I got it she was dirty as hell so I took the tank and plastics off and scrubbed her till she came clean. Got a new k&n filter and plug + oil change. O forgot to mention she ran great before I did my maintenance. She just had a little overflow coming from the carb. So I cleaned carb figuring the float might be hung up. I put everything back together and could not get plug to fire. I got a new coil and that solved the problem. I guess it got wet during my cleaning, all I know is it fires now. But now I'm not getting fuel to engine when trying to start. I can put gas in spark plug hole and she will fire right up and run good. But will not idle or start. I have cleaned the carb several times and adjusted the floats to specs I'm my manual, also changed plugs, turned idle air scew, adjusted plastic idle screw. Fuel is going into bowl but not getting into engine during start up. It has bigger jets than stock do to a aftermArket pipe. I can't kick this thing anymore it is killing my leg. I did my research on here before posting, any help would be great.

float is stuck in the closed position, take a rubber hammer and tap on the carb.

If you take the float bowl drain screw out does fuel run out? Another thing maybe a fuel vent tube is kinked or pluged.

How exactly did you clean the carb? Describe what you did and how. To me, it sounds like the idle circuit is still blocked. :smashpc:

How exactly did you clean the carb? Describe what you did and how. To me, it sounds like the idle circuit is still blocked.

Yep, could be..

Pull both the Pilot and the main and the tube the main screws into and run a strand of wire from a wirebrush through all the holes..Get all of them on both sides of the tube the main screws into and the tiny ones on the side of the Pilot,, occasionally there's also a tiny hole on one of the jets/tubes at the very top that's easy to miss..

Picture of the nearly completed 89 if anyone's interested..Lights/indis etc still not figured out,,..last thing to do..I hate wiring...

XR400 tank,,350 swingarm,,350 forks,,350 airbox,,CRF250-X muffler,,250 oil cooler,,XL600 bottom end and bore and piston.,,unknown top end,,could be 650L or XR600..bit of confusion there..Successfully tested,,goes like the clappers..

Got your message Brian,,email me about the gearbox bits..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/img0159cz.jpg/

Edited by Horri

Yep, could be..

Pull both the Pilot and the main and the tube the main screws into and run a strand of wire from a wirebrush through all the holes..Get all of them on both sides of the tube the main screws into and the tiny ones on the side of the Pilot,, occasionally there's also a tiny hole on one of the jets/tubes at the very top that's easy to miss..

Picture of the nearly completed 89 if anyone's interested..Lights/indis etc still not figured out,,..last thing to do..I hate wiring...

XR400 tank,,350 swingarm,,350 forks,,350 airbox,,CRF250-X muffler,,250 oil cooler,,XL600 bottom end and bore and piston.,,unknown top end,,could be 650L or XR600..bit of confusion there..Successfully tested,,goes like the clappers..

Got your message Brian,,email me about the gearbox bits..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/img0159cz.jpg/

Sharp looking bike!:smashpc:

Sharp looking bike!:smashpc:

Thanks..I always wanted a white one. Modeled on the "Show your white XR thread"..wherever it lurks..

Edited by Horri

Have you checked the valve lash?

How does the choke plate look?

I'd replace the pilot jet with a #65 in case the last owner tried to drill out the original.

I'd replace the carb float needle. If it's sticking, it needs to be replaced.

Clean the carb again. Get a red straw for your carb cleaner, and blast every single chanel and orifice in teh carb. Try to visualize the cirucit that the fuel takes as it goes through the carb, and clean every single chanel that it takes.

Thanks everyone for the help...I got her going last night. I pulled and cleaned the carb again, i used a piece of broom straw and pushed is through all cavities on carb. Also the vent tube had a slight kink, and I readjusted the floats. Turned the idle screw wide open, two kicks and she fired right up. Turned the idle down and woke up everyone in the neighborhood with a few runs around the block. Thanks so much for the help.

My neighbors think I'm some crazy old man when I do that, they even call the poo-poo on me.

One time I took my drag bike for a spin down my street.I did a big ole smokey in front of my house and when I came back the neighbors were standing at the end of there driveways waving there cell phones at me.

Low and behold a sheriff came knocking at my shop door, when I answered it he asked me if this is the place that does oil changes on bikes.

I said sure is, bring it on by and I'll take care of it for you. He left and never mentioned the smokey burnout or the old fuddy duddys next door.👍

Pop's.....