Sign in to follow this  

00/01 frame vs 02+

Debating on doing an 02+ roller with 01' engine, I'm getting ready to prep my 01 250 for hare scramble racing (steering stabilizer, revalved suspension, possibly a rekluse)...I've heard the 02+ frames aren't as stiff and turn better, but is the difference really that noticeable? I'm sure a lot of you have rode an 02+ back to back with an 00/01 but probably not with the same suspension setup? My 01's already in progress, but I can always start building up an 02+ and swap my suspension, bars, brakes, etc if its really worth it...the updated graphics are a plus as well :smashpc:

Debating on doing an 02+ roller with 01' engine, I'm getting ready to prep my 01 250 for hare scramble racing (steering stabilizer, revalved suspension, possibly a rekluse)...I've heard the 02+ frames aren't as stiff and turn better, but is the difference really that noticeable? I'm sure a lot of you have rode an 02+ back to back with an 00/01 but probably not with the same suspension setup? My 01's already in progress, but I can always start building up an 02+ and swap my suspension, bars, brakes, etc if its really worth it...the updated graphics are a plus as well :smashpc:

You really should put a search on TT as projects just like this have already been done. I have a pretty maxed out for trail 01' but have heard from some good local riders that the 02+ chassis has enough of a noticeable difference. I have ridden an 06 cr 250 and it felt good but not much better than my 01.

Of course the 06 wasn't revalved and sprung for my weight like my 01' is. I also have a 20mm offset triple clamp , a 20" front wheel and an 18" rear wheel. All are great added improvements.... .

You really should put a search on TT as projects just like this have already been done. I have a pretty maxed out for trail 01' but have heard from some good local riders that the 02+ chassis has enough of a noticeable difference. I have ridden an 06 cr 250 and it felt good but not much better than my 01.

Of course the 06 wasn't revalved and sprung for my weight like my 01' is. I also have a 20mm offset triple clamp , a 20" front wheel and an 18" rear wheel. All are great added improvements.... .

i've searched but i don't find many people with good comparisons...they just state the obvious stuff

• Like 1

The 02+'s look a lot better as well, but unless I find a blown up 02+ for $500 or less it just doesn't seem worth it...I was debating on going ahead and buying a frame for later on

The 02+'s look a lot better as well, but unless I find a blown up 02+ for $500 or less it just doesn't seem worth it...I was debating on going ahead and buying a frame for later on

That's generally my opinion since an 01 works awesome . Set it up to your weight and riding style and charge.. Unless a deal comes up I am sticking with my 01' too. I love this bike....as an option .. I keep thinking one day I might get an eric gorr 265 top end. ..It's not needed ..just something else to spend money on..:smashpc:

a 500Af won't handle as good in the tight stuff and the 01 motor with a 265 kit in a 02 frame is as good as it gets.

• Like 1

That's generally my opinion since an 01 works awesome . Set it up to your weight and riding style and charge.. Unless a deal comes up I am sticking with my 01' too. I love this bike....as an option .. I keep thinking one day I might get an eric gorr 265 top end. ..It's not needed ..just something else to spend money on..👍

Dont you not hate it when you dont have money, yoiu tend to have LOTS of ideas on how to spend it. Then when payrolls come, dont have an idea what to buy first?

Dont you not hate it when you dont have money, yoiu tend to have LOTS of ideas on how to spend it. Then when payrolls come, dont have an idea what to buy first?

Or feel bad for spending it...

Are the forks and shock on the 01 the same as the 02 minus the valving? I'd hate to strip my beloved 01 but if I can swap suspension over along with the swingarm and triple clamps then all I need is a frame and subframe...gotta figure you might as well go ahead and get new wheels, tires, sprockets, plastics, larger gas tank, tall seat along with it so why buy a whole bike!

Debating on doing an 02+ roller with 01' engine, I'm getting ready to prep my 01 250 for hare scramble racing (steering stabilizer, revalved suspension, possibly a rekluse)...I've heard the 02+ frames aren't as stiff and turn better, but is the difference really that noticeable? I'm sure a lot of you have rode an 02+ back to back with an 00/01 but probably not with the same suspension setup? My 01's already in progress, but I can always start building up an 02+ and swap my suspension, bars, brakes, etc if its really worth it...the updated graphics are a plus as well :ride:

I have an '03 and like it, but wouldn't go thru the hassle of making that change. Every 250cc 2 stroke that I ride (95-current), they all seem about the same to me... 👍

Are the forks and shock on the 01 the same as the 02 minus the valving? I'd hate to strip my beloved 01 but if I can swap suspension over along with the swingarm and triple clamps then all I need is a frame and subframe...gotta figure you might as well go ahead and get new wheels, tires, sprockets, plastics, larger gas tank, tall seat along with it so why buy a whole bike!

I think you just have to redo your suspension and setup on the 02+ chassis.

I forget but I think it's a little different . I did look at this a few years ago and I remember thinking it wasn't worth the full changeover since I had racetech resprung and revalved my 01 and didn't want to start over.. ...The 00'01' had the 20" front wheel option from the factory so the forks are a little longer than earlier forks. I'm not sure when the 20" option stopped. I thinkit was 2005 and the fork offset's changed a little inthere too? 22" ? I was getting info all over the internet including TT and the woodsracer site etc. So I kind of forget.. If you check the stickies on the top of this forum there should be some info on what changed from 01' to 02'. I know the 20mm offset triple clamps was a hot setup for the 01' . Rg3 had it listed and I kept looking online for guys who could verify it worked better. I just didn't want to pay that price.. although it would be worth it especially since it works well and I've kept my 01 all these years. The rg3's should make the bike even better with the 4 post rubber mounting....although to what degree?..

http://www.rg3suspension.com/p_triple_clamps_applications.php#Honda

I researched a bit on what was good and got an ebay deal just to try it out. It turned a bit better and along with the front 20" front wheel the front end just sticks. Braking is improved too.The 20 tends to be a bit bouncy in whoops but I run lower pressure and do slower technical stuff so it doesn't matter. I didn't try to work on the mx side of things as much..t might be fine with higher pressure and the particular tire and suspension settings. Along with the 18" rear wheel the bike is even smoother and hooks up excellent. I have a wider 2.5 width 18" too that gives a wider track and smoother ride along with hooking up better. My Dad hooked me up putting it on as I didn't even know a wider rim existed. Later I saw the 2.5 on Tadday B's endurocross ktm 250 . Most guys don't seem to do that mod. Lots aren't more strictly trail /hare scramble Iguess or maybe they just worry about it not fitting...I dk.

As far as the 20" goes I am a believer in it for my bike but it is easier to just get a 90/100-21 bigger fatter front tire to simulate the same type of effect the 20" does. I do like it better though and I have extra 20" front tires ready and waiting to switch out.

I've got to say lots of guys on TT and other internet spots were great in sharing their information and helping me. I saved a lot of money and effort moving toward what I wanted in my bike.

a 500Af won't handle as good in the tight stuff and the 01 motor with a 265 kit in a 02 frame is as good as it gets.

I kinda figure that too... 👍:worthy:

It's easy to go crazy on this but any cr can work pretty great with a few mods and good setup... It's when you go to matter of degree and start thinking what if that it just gets crazy.:ride:

It does get better.👍 My 07 CRF 250X with a 01 CR 250 engine. 20in front and 19in rear.

100_0676.jpg

100_0689.jpg

Edited by GTS220
  • Like 1

It does get better.👍 My 07 CRF 250X with a 01 CR 250 engine. 20in front and 19in rear.

100_0676.jpg

100_0689.jpg

Awesome!!! I'm surprised you went this far and didn't want to add the 18" rear. This is the newest generation frame?...or at least pretty close I would think.

So how does it work? mmm no handguards either...

Awesome!!! I'm surprised you went this far and didn't want to add the 18" rear. This is the newest generation frame?...or at least pretty close I would think.

So how does it work? mmm no handguards either...

This bike rides like a dream both desert and at the track. You can throw this bike into the corners and with just a little bit of clutch it pulls right out. The power band is very 'progressive' decent bottom end and pulls like a champ at the top. Im really liking the 20" front tire. Every once in a while I wont be able to miss that huge rock everyone dreads about in a sand wash and the 20" soaks it up like it was a piece of gravel. The main thing is comfort. Ive bought the 07 new and rode it till I did the conversion so i knew how the frame handled. Even with cutting out the cradles it still handles the same just a different power delivery.

I came across the 19" for $150 with a talon hub and excel spokes.:ride:

This is a Gen4 frame and i believe the 2011 is the Gen5 frame for the CRF250s. Im not 100% on that so dont hold me to it.

The handgaurds were on order when I took the picture. I got some red Cycra stealth hand guards for it.

I would take another picture with the handguards but the motor is completely disassembled right now...👍:worthy:

I've ridden with AA guys on several occasions in ST riding. The my gen 2 500 AF would stay with them on there silly orange bikes. Passed em when they slowed me down too. It's the same as the 250 afterall.........

I've ridden with AA guys on several occasions in ST riding. The my gen 2 500 AF would stay with them on there silly orange bikes. Passed em when they slowed me down too. It's the same as the 250 afterall.........

I went to see if you had some pictures etc in the TT garage.. none! Get some pictures so we can see that gen 2 500 AF ! ...

nice bike, i don't think i'd ever go that far, prolly cheaper with a 02+ cr250!

Sometimes it's just the deal that comes along or the situation that presents itself that will put you in a different bike. Who knows maybe that $500 new gen frame with a blown engine may come your way..