Should I just get the 450r

- 24yr old 5'10" 200lbs w/o gear. New to dirtbikes. Intermediate on my quad Raptor 700

- looking to buying new

- Offroad, fire trails, desert, dry lake beds

I am considering getting a 450r and just under-riding it, sticking to open trails. Sounds good in theory, mainly to avoid buying bikes stages. Of course there is a bit of doubt which is why this was posted.

May sound illogical to some, but I'm leaning towards MX bikes over the trail due to weight and EFI.

My main question is if I'm over my head thinking I can safely under-ride the 450r as I get experience, and just get a 250r? Very open to suggestions.

• 9 years later...

Hey guys I would like to comeback to the forum and I felt what better way than to update this old post. I ended up buying a 2012 KTM 500 XCW the following month of my OP (still my current and only). I sold the quad in 2011 as well lol Rolling it off a cliff was tempting.

8 hours ago, ManEHawke said:

Hey guys I would like to comeback to the forum and I felt what better way than to update this old post. I ended up buying a 2012 KTM 500 XCW the following month of my OP (still my current and only). I sold the quad in 2011 as well lol Rolling it off a cliff was tempting.

Way better choice for woods than any MX bike. Cheers 

10 hours ago, ManEHawke said:

Say what?