Sign in to follow this  

Identity Crisis!!

I bought a yz250 for cheap.(supposedly a 2000) and i am trying to find out what year it is. NO VIN NUMBER. It seems to have the 1996-2001 chassis characteristics. the motor has the power valve on the left of the cylinder and if im not mistaken they stopped this in 1998. The clutch line does NOT enter into the stator cover but pulls on the lever on the outside of the left case. I also noticed the water pump is the same style as on the 1995 motor (has the 90* elbow attached to it). I also recently replaced the clutch basket that said it would fit a 2000 motor and it fit without any issue. is so here are my questions : 1. can the 1995 motor fit in a 1996+ frame without modifying anything? 2. Are water pump covers interchangeable between years? im so confused on what to do/buy for this bike it is driving me nuts. i just need some guidance

I bought a yz250 for cheap.(supposedly a 2000) and i am trying to find out what year it is. NO VIN NUMBER. It seems to have the 1996-2001 chassis characteristics. the motor has the power valve on the left of the cylinder and if im not mistaken they stopped this in 1998. The clutch line does NOT enter into the stator cover but pulls on the lever on the outside of the left case. I also noticed the water pump is the same style as on the 1995 motor (has the 90* elbow attached to it). I also recently replaced the clutch basket that said it would fit a 2000 motor and it fit without any issue. is so here are my questions : 1. can the 1995 motor fit in a 1996+ frame without modifying anything? 2. Are water pump covers interchangeable between years? im so confused on what to do/buy for this bike it is driving me nuts. i just need some guidance

You bought something without a vin number.....:smashpc:

I just made a post and just bought a 2000 yz250 that turned out to be a 1999! What color is the air box? I think the 00-01's were white? Correct me if I'm wrong.

well it does have a vin number but the frame was repainted black and whoever it was tried to re print the VIN or make a new one but most of the numbers are unreadable. so i cannot take the VIN as the no shit ID for it. it was cheap i know it was a bad move but i need to get past this and try to figure out what it really is.

airbox is black. ive seen 2k and 2k1 bikes have white airboxes but i wasnt sure if it was aftermarket or what...

You just about have to post a pic of the engine. The frame and plastic was basically the same from 96 to 2001. Actually, the engine mounts have been the same, or in the same spot, for may years. Its almost a bolt on deal to put a 2011 engine into a 96 frame, believe it or not. The swingarm pivot size changed, but not much else.

the 1995 swingarm looks different than the one on the bike. My swingarm has the whole that goes through the middle. the 95 had no wholes in the swing arm(besides the pivot points) im leaning towards a 1996 chassis with a 95 motor.