Sign in to follow this  

Broken clutch plate

My 2002 YZ 125 started running shortly after the clutch got to feeling stiff. So I pulled it apart to day and found a half a clutch plate missing. The rest went thru the gears and turned to muck. Anyways the engine had a rolly sound so I am going to rebuild the bottom end and the crank seemed to have a ton of end play like 2mm with the clutch basket removed. But how did the middle clutch plate just brake?

Wow, this is bizarre...

I was just about to post up a thread about my '03 YZ125 wrecking a clutch plate last weekend. Right now I'm confused because earlier this year I put in a brand new Wiseco basket and measured all of the plates and were well within factory specs. I guess it's just something that should be changed from time to time.

Either way, the entire plate was still more or less intact, but enough chunks had came loose in my engine that I have split the cases to clean everything thoroughly while I wait for brand new plates to come in the mail.

AFAIK the clutch in the 125s are the same from 96 to 04 I think?

Anyway maybe in 03 the fibre plates were made out of a different material, and just the fact you guys havent replaced them in so many years meant they wore out and broke down?

Or maybe the particular type of trans oil you guys are running caused more wear?

Dunno I'm clutching at straws here but I find this quite interesting....

I had a rm125 clutch shatter 3 or 4 fiber plates but didnt leave the basket, they say its was from excessive wear!

I can get a Yamaha clutch kit for $103.00 plus shipping. This includes the friction plates, metal plates and the springs. Let me know if you are interested.