Sign in to follow this  

1999-2000 YZ250 Fuel and other leak?

Well I just bought a 2000 YZ250 or so I thought it turned out to be a 1999. Black airbox and vin match. It's had the top end rebuilt by a local shop, along with suspension. Pipe a bit dinged up, it has fmf fatty, new brakes front and back, good tires, Some kind of aftermarket bars, and radiator armor. I think it runs great. We got it home and unloading it, I cut the fuel on and the gas poured out of the bowl overflow. Tapped on it and it continued to leak. Called my local bike tech. and he is going to look at it. He said the float is probably hanging. I also then noticed it has gas or something pooled up on top of the case on the left side (near where clutch cable enters)? I think it's the ____ gasket but not sure what that part of the engine is called. Forgive my motor knowlege. I'm beginning to think I just made a mistake by buying this bike? I've had a yz80 growing up and several street bikes. But I'm afraid this one may cost me. Anyhow, what could I expect it to cost to fix? Also the clutch lets out right and the top, is there anyway to adjust it to let out closer to the handle bar without the lever being loose?

Sorry! I had to blow some steam and ask a few questions in the mix!

a good carb clean should fix the float overflow leak. with the gas on the casing where the cable goes through id say check your tap on your tank as they have seals in that could perish and leak or could be coolant. Have a good look around and you should see something.

For the record, the seat in the YZ250 PWK carb is not replaceable. It is pressed in.

Or, let me clarify... Yamaha intends for it to not be replaceable. You can not remove the old seat without destroying it and Yamaha does not sell a replacement seat.

That being said.. a fellow TT'er found this: https://www.hpd-inc.com/Jetting.htm

knseat.jpg

It appears to be the correct seat for the PWK. No one I know has tried one yet though to verify this. However, there are no better options.

Now, you might get away with just replacing the float-needle and cleaning the seat that is in there. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try and get it out to the mechnic today. I'll keep looking to find the source of the other leak. I'm not experienced enough with carbs to feel comfortable. I've looked in them to check jets, cleaned one on an old xl100. But I think I'll leave this to someone I trust. I'll let ya'll know what happens. Hopefully it's not the seat if it's not replaceable. If it is i'll tell the mechnic about the above post. Again thanks!

You could try cleaning the seat with a Q-tip and some carb cleaner. Check to make sure there isn't a groove worn in it. Same with the float needle. Pull the jets and clean them.

As for the clutch, that sounds normal to me, I guess it's just something you need to get used to. You might be able to fix it with a aftermarket lever, or maybe a hydraulic clutch kit. I've been wanting to pick up one of the hydraulic kits for a while. My Montesa trials bike has a built-in hydraulic clutch and it is so nice! I have a feeling though that the aftermarket kit won't work near as well because it works in a slightly different way...

Well... yesterday I was going to show my brother in law the leak and lo and behold it didn't!?! I rode just around the house a little bit and still nothing. Before this I put fresh mixed gas in it. Could that have anything to do with it? I still think the carb should be cleaned. I'll have to wait till monday before I can take it to the mechanic or try it myself. I also talked with another guy who said I should change the oil in it that gas could have got in it? I don't have an owners manual what kind/brand of oil does it take?

I'm not sure how gas would get in the gear oil... But you could change it just to be safe anyway. Lots of guys run F-Type ATF. I haven't had problems with it so far. It's cheap and abundant.

Thanks 762spr! I'll be changing it. Well.. the saga continues........ Fired it up with no gas leak this morning to take it a spin before work. Pretty sure the other leak is where the clutch cable enters the case. It wiggles around I'm guessing there should be some kind of seal there. Anyhow.. started down a hill and bing.......bogggg. bing.....bogggg and it died! Dag on! Thought it is either the spark plug or the kill switch. The kill switch connection on the handle bars appeared fine. So tried kicking it again and fired up and when tried to rev it died again. So toed it home with a 4 wheeler and took the spark plug out it looks very black and fouled? Checked for spark and had none. I'll be checking it with a spark tester this evening when I get back to be sure it's not the kill s/w or coil. Is there and easy way to get the spark plug out without removing the tank? And is there a seal where the clutch cable goes in? Thanks for listening!

There isn't any fluid inside the clutch cover. There is a small oring around the clutch cable where it goes into the motor case. Mine has a little wiggle room but nothing major. If you really wanted to, you can use some lube around the oring or maybe (don't quote me on this) glue it on. But that might be a bitch to get off when you need to replace your cable. For slack wise, try adjusting with the screws by your number plate. If that doesn't do much good maybe your cable itself is a little worn. $10 fix. And you should have room to get to the spark plug with a wrench.

I'm learning everyday! Thanks. The guy I bought it off of said the cable an lever were brand new. It feels brand new, tough! Glad to hear some wiggle is normal.

I put a new spark plug and it fired up 1st kick. Still no carb leak and mystery leak is still there. I'll try and take a picture.