Sign in to follow this  

WHere do the 2 Strokes and the 3 Strokes shine

I have never owned or ridden a 2 stroke. It seemes they are starting to make a comeback. Or maybe the main manufactures and media are reviving the 2 stroke.

Having no experience I thought I would ask some opinions on where each of these types of bikes shine a litle more.

There must be a reason the 4 stroke took over for the most part. There also must be a reason why the 2 strokes are coming back.

Just wondering :smashpc:

I have never owned or ridden a 2 stroke. It seemes they are starting to make a comeback. Or maybe the main manufactures and media are reviving the 2 stroke.

Having no experience I thought I would ask some opinions on where each of these types of bikes shine a litle more.

There must be a reason the 4 stroke took over for the most part. There also must be a reason why the 2 strokes are coming back.

Just wondering :smashpc:

You almost need, at the Pro level, to have a 4T to win. A 2T can be competitive, but I don't see it winning podiums in the U.S. At the local level I do see a 2T revival. I think it's due to their cheaper rebuild in the long run and the bikes are cheaper. I went to the dealership in Colorado Springs and a 2012 CRF450 is $8200 before OTD. I will not pay that much for a dirt bike that I beat up, but if I was sponsored...well...that's a different story. lol

I switched to 2T because of the snappy powerband, cheaper rebuild, easier rebuild, and cheaper priced parts. I do miss the ease of a 4T, but I won't give up my 2T. I do plan to buy a TM Racing bike...great Italian engineering. 👍

how much will this new 3 stroke cost?

:smashpc: One night, me and my buddies got drunk and tried to think up a 3 stroke engine. The next day we realized it's not possible. 👍

4 strokes generate more money for the big companies

Yamaha makes real money off that YZ 250 and 125. They havent changed it in 8 years(since the aluminum frame), just minor updates! Yet the price still goes up and up. Your paying 2012 prices for 2005 technology. Its bullshit

You almost need, at the Pro level, to have a 4T to win. A 2T can be competitive, but I don't see it winning podiums in the U.S. At the local level I do see a 2T revival. I think it's due to their cheaper rebuild in the long run and the bikes are cheaper. I went to the dealership in Colorado Springs and a 2012 CRF450 is $8200 before OTD. I will not pay that much for a dirt bike that I beat up, but if I was sponsored...well...that's a different story. lol

I switched to 2T because of the snappy powerband, cheaper rebuild, easier rebuild, and cheaper priced parts. I do miss the ease of a 4T, but I won't give up my 2T. I do plan to buy a TM Racing bike...great Italian engineering. :smashpc:

You know what funny though. I was going through my dads journals and he bought a brand new 04 KTM 250sx and it was $7300 OTD. and this was in 03 mind you. Bikes are expensive, but not that expensive. This was canadian prices too!

Yamaha makes real money off that YZ 250 and 125. They havent changed it in 8 years(since the aluminum frame), just minor updates! Yet the price still goes up and up. Your paying 2012 prices for 2005 technology. Its bullshit

Very true if they put the technology and money that they have in the 4 strokes the 2 strokes could be on another level. But 4 strokes are more expensive for upkeep especially the 250 4s their time bombs

The reason why 2 strokes went away is because of Honda, they didn't think they could develop it anymore and being a development company, they just pulled the plug and invested heavily into 4 strokes. This happened in roadracing way before it impacted motocross. 4 strokes were a new way to develop new technology and 4 stroke dirt bikes are about 2 years behind sport bikes, which are about 2 years behind roadrace machines. So in my estimation, 4 stroke development in motocross has about 4 more years left to it. But once that happens, they will be at another brick wall.

Of course there are EPA regulations and a bunch of other reasons why 2 strokes kicked the bucket, but sadly its mostly Honda's fault.

Anyway, the reason why there is a resurgence in 2 strokes is simply because 4 strokes are ticking time bombs and the newer they are, the more they are likely to go pop quicker. Generally speaking, 2 strokes are easier to maintain and cost a lot less money over the long haul, making them perfect bikes for anyone who can't afford the initial purchase price and rebuilds of a 4 stroke. Of course, the poor economy does play a huge role as people are looking for cheap solutions to ride and the 2 stroke fits most of those needs perfectly.

In the long haul, 2 strokes will make an even bigger come back with direct injection machines that don't burn oil and put out less pollution then 4 strokes. Once that happens, we will see a huge resurgence and I predict things might steer towards the 2 strokes. Plus, if the AMA changes the rules for 250 2 strokes to race with 250 4 strokes, we will see them appear in professional racing over night. Will that ever happen, I doubt it, but us 2 stroke guys can always prey! :smashpc:

a 3 stroke would technically be a rotary engine

Rotaries would not be practical in motocross because with those engines once the combustion chamber is out of tolerance, you can't bore it out, you can't sleeve it, you can't do anything to rebuild the motor back to factory specs.

Rotaries would not be practical in motocross because with those engines once the combustion chamber is out of tolerance, you can't bore it out, you can't sleeve it, you can't do anything to rebuild the motor back to factory specs.

granted its not just a simple cylindrical shape, but thinking about it in my head I dont see why you couldnt simply put a new lining around the outside wall of hte combustion chamber, sort of a like a resleeve for a rotary engine. Granted the new "sleeve" would not some odd shape and it would not be an easy process, but possible nonetheless.

I don't know if that made sense to anyone but me though lol

i got a couple buddies with mazda rx7s. once the motor goes they're very rare and expensive to come by. a lot of people just stuff chevy 350 small blocks in them.

Where do 2 strokes shine? Everywhere except races that allow a nearly double displacement advantage to 4 strokes but without terrain that favores lighter weight.

As for the comment above that 4 strokes will always dominate American MX, would that be the case if it was 400cc 4s vs 300cc 2s?