Sign in to follow this  

Crankshaft/Connecting Rod Repair -- Kit HELP ME

My mechanic says I need a new crankshaft, he also said I need a connecting rod repair kit. Is it possible to need both. Wouldn't a complete crankshaft come with a new connecting rod and the stuff that would come with a connecting rod repair kit?

I'm a newb, so sorry for the extremely basic question.

Bike is a 2008 KTM 144 sx by the way. I've heard they have weak crankshafts from the factory which is probably why I'm having these problems.

You need to call Andrew Cooksey at Cooksey Crank in Texas. Just look up Cooksey cranks on one of your search engines. He will be doing my bottom end sometime next year. Everybody on KTMTalk raves about his work and very affordable to.

Little Jeff

cookseycrank dot com.

Let him rebuild your crank assembly with a new rod kit. He can do it all if needed.

Is there no one local that does good work?

Maybe I was lucky that I have a local mechanic that does excellent work at an excellent price. He was a mechanic at a local KTM shop that closed after many years. Does this type work on the side. Nice thing is, I don't have to ship anything.

My mechanic says I need a new crankshaft, he also said I need a connecting rod repair kit. Is it possible to need both. Wouldn't a complete crankshaft come with a new connecting rod and the stuff that would come with a connecting rod repair kit?

I'm a newb, so sorry for the extremely basic question.

I've bought several HotRods crankshaft kits and they all came with the crankshaft + connecting rod already installed. I think your mechanic either doesn't know what he's talking about or is trying to rip you off. Only thing you need aside from the kit is a full gasket kit and the right tools.

I've bought several HotRods crankshaft kits and they all came with the crankshaft + connecting rod already installed. I think your mechanic either doesn't know what he's talking about or is trying to rip you off. Only thing you need aside from the kit is a full gasket kit and the right tools.

good catch, it's late and I am tired. lol :smashpc:

Another + for Cooksey. Look at his video clips and you can tell he's a craftsman that has a lot of experience and takes great pride in his work. He offers a range of repair options that will allow you to choose how much of the work you want to do yourself. He did a great job on my crank.