Sign in to follow this  

Time window of when how long gas will last

yo guys got in a pretty bad bicycle accident that Is keeping off my dirtbike. Anyway I was wondering how long premix gas 10 percent ethanol will last in a sealed plastic container out of sun. By the time I can use it it will probably be over a month old its about 2 1/2 gallons with premix oil and octane booster and I would really hate to not use for the bike cause its freakin expensive. dont worry about the bike though carb ran dry fuel tank empty

I use premix, with no other additives that has been stored in my garage all winter. Been doing this for at least the last fifteen or so years, it may not be the best practice but I have never run into any problems.

Old gas isnt going to hurt anything, you just wont have as good of throttle response. I've kept gas for 6 months & it was still pretty good. You can mix it with fresh gas & it seems to rejuvenate the whole can. This is my seat of the pants experience.

Just dump it in your truck and don't worry about it. The pre-mix won't hurt a darn thing.

well being 16 I suppose I can dump it in my moms honda. hopefully in a year Ill have a truck to dump it in.

You can let it sit for a month without too much problem. If you're worried about it throw in a little Seafoam or Stabil. Not sure how that stuff does with premix tho.

I have let gas/mix sit in the bike and in containers with just over the counter stabil and I haven't had an issue that I am aware of yet. Still spooged :smashpc:

Premix is a bit of a stabilizer itself.

really I thought it made the gas go bad faster. But what bout the octane booster that cant be good for it

It's not so much the gas in the can (assuming it's sealed) as it is the gas in the carb and tank. The alcohol in the gas is corrosive. Your gas tank is vented (open) to atmosphere. For me, all it took is one carb that got gummed up (it's actually happened 3 times now on my edger which is much harder to drain) over the winter and I don't keep gas for more than 2 or 3 months in the gas can and less in the gas tank of my bikes. It's not worth saving $10 if I have to spend time tearing carburetors apart and cleaning them. There's nothing worse than trying to fire a machine up after sitting all winter, only to find out the carb needs cleaning when you want to use it the most. I drain the carb float bowl and the tank and burn all the gas in the truck, premix or not, when I'm done riding for the season. If you're young, not married, have no kids and have a lot fewer demands on your time, by all means keep your gas during the off season.

I've got a batch of premix sitting in one of my metal tanks for almost 3 months now.. Still great.

Plastic cans breathe. Metal cans are airtight.

The gas itself will last longer than the oil.

Synthetic oil will last longer than castor oil.

So if you find yourself often will old gas on your bike and on your cans you´ll be better by using an air tight metal tank and synthetic prmix oil.

It's not so much the gas in the can (assuming it's sealed) as it is the gas in the carb and tank. The alcohol in the gas is corrosive. Your gas tank is vented (open) to atmosphere. For me, all it took is one carb that got gummed up (it's actually happened 3 times now on my edger which is much harder to drain) over the winter and I don't keep gas for more than 2 or 3 months in the gas can and less in the gas tank of my bikes. It's not worth saving $10 if I have to spend time tearing carburetors apart and cleaning them. There's nothing worse than trying to fire a machine up after sitting all winter, only to find out the carb needs cleaning when you want to use it the most. I drain the carb float bowl and the tank and burn all the gas in the truck, premix or not, when I'm done riding for the season. If you're young, not married, have no kids and have a lot fewer demands on your time, by all means keep your gas during the off season.

Best post yet. I use to let gas sit in my bikes all winter long in California. Never a problem. In the last few years with the ethanol additive, my carbs get gummed up after a few months. I've had to buy new jets for my XR80 and XR100. I could not get them cleaned out. Now I drain the carbs.

I run old pre-mix in my XR400, lawn mower, and everything else. The premix is actually leaner due to the oil, so I will mix it with pump gas if I'm running the XR400 hard that day.

I NEVER USE PREMIX IN CARS/TRUCKS WITH CATALYTIC CONVERTER OR FUEL INJECTION. I look at the smoke from my 2-stroke and think that can't be good for the cat or the O2 sensor. Maybe I"m wrong, but I won't risk not passing a smog test due to burning a few gallons of premix.

2 stroke oil is NOT good for your O2 sensor(s) or the catalytic converter- the oils in the smoke literally eat away the catalytic converter. Not so much a big of a deal in a non emission state, but for the rest of us, blowing your cat out is not worth dumping $3 worth of premix gas into the tank.

The O2 sensors also start to give off false readings, thinking your engine is running too rich so it will begin leaning out the mixture. You'll get great gas mileage, at the cost of wearing your engine down from running too lean.

After riding i always close the fuel and keep the bike running until the carb runs out of fuel instead of draining the carb.

Which of this 2 methods id better or are they just the same?

After riding i always close the fuel and keep the bike running until the carb runs out of fuel instead of draining the carb.

ya I just run the bike with the pecock off. then If IU wanna drain the tank pull off the hose. anyway I healed up quick and hope to be at the sandpits this weekend

Just dump it in your truck and don't worry about it. The pre-mix won't hurt a darn thing.

Yup that is what I am doing for the past 15 years

Running it with the gas off still leaves some in the float, your better off draining it all out. Also gas is usually good for at least 2 months in a can often more so a month isn't going to hurt anything.