Sign in to follow this  

2003 RM 125 or newer model??

I am looking to buy a very nice RM 125 for a fun, cheap track and fun bike this weekend. I am 190 lb, 47 yr old who just wants a punchy small-bore RM, but with designs on adding the Eric Gorr 144 bore/porting deal as I really want to own one of these before my riding days are past, I have ridden several of the older RM's ('97-2003) and really like that mid-range type of power. Not really looking for extreme top-end only type of power...I want low-to-mid MX power mainly. Eric Gorr told me once, however, that the long-rod '04+ Suzuki's are just terrific, so I am thinking maybe the last generation might be the one. Price really does not matter to me, but for you guys in the know, which model would translate into the best track/play bike for a guy who raced 250Fs mostly but loves the light, simple 2-stroke. Thanks for your replies.

The best RM 125 for you is an RM 250 lol. The 06-07 has crazy bottom end, and only weighs like 20lbs more(feels lighter than a 250f because of lower CG and less rotating mass). Try one before you pull the trigger on a 125, although those 125 are CRAZY flickable. just my $0.02

My son had an 03 and now a 07. Couldnt really tell the diference other than the 07 seems to have a little more on the bottom. Could have been my imagination. Both great bikes. We are going to have hp do a 144 and porting for it in the spring.

Hey THSP,

I am with you!

I am 39 and weight 180Lb

I have a Suzuki RM 250 2007...but in the last 2 years I used only 7 times...I was out of training and alway worried to get hurt because, even if flickable and easy to ride, you can't understimate the power of a 250 2 stroke.

I was quitting and going to Mountain Bike until...

It happened that in march I saw a race with the 125...and I was totally blown away, I mean, I used to ride 125 10 years before, but I didn't remember they were going so fast and jumps all the leaps, eben the longest ones....

I decided to buy a new Suzuki 125 the next monday....

But I realized that

I have a RM 125 '99 in my garage...and I went with a total rebuilt of that bike

It is almost brand new...well, it is new

I found again the joy to ride, you have really less risk even when you make some mistakes, you can regain control with that little funny sucker, it rips, it flocks, it turns, it wheels, it goes sideways...you RIDE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And even with my weight I clear all the jumps if you hold it wide!!!!

125 is really the fun bike, and you know what?!

I am sure I can go faster on that than on my 250!

Have fun

Thanks for the reply. I sometimes get myself all ready to buy a 250 due to the all-around versatility it offers, then I recall just how out-of-shap a 250 can get you if you are not careful. The 125s are so much fun, so that is where I am looking.