95 DR350 Stator Question

I have a 350 dirt model and want to dual sport it. Can I swap the stator out of a SE and power the CDI and the reg/rec so I have a DC output?

I have a 350 dirt model and want to dual sport it. Can I swap the stator out of a SE and power the CDI and the reg/rec so I have a DC output?

The stator will physically fit, and I do not believe there are any differences in the rotor.

You will need to replace the reg/rec as well, as the dirt model is different.

There may be a difference in the number of wires running to the CDI -- I do not have a wiring diagram handy at the moment...

Thx for responding. I actually went ahead and wound the stator with 2 more lighting coil circuits and changed the wiring from wye config to delta config, added a 3 phase reg/rec and so far everything is up and running. I am going to do a current test to see how much extra current I have available now. Hoping for at least 150 watts at 12vdc. fingers crossed 👍

Thx for responding. I actually went ahead and wound the stator with 2 more lighting coil circuits and changed the wiring from wye config to delta config, added a 3 phase reg/rec and so far everything is up and running. I am going to do a current test to see how much extra current I have available now. Hoping for at least 150 watts at 12vdc. fingers crossed :ride:

Nice job 👍

I think the stock DR350S produces 200W or so. You should be able to get 150W without much trouble.

Let us know how it works out!

Will do! Should be able to finish my testing tomorrow, and hopefully hit the trails before this weekend.

Update, got sent away on field service but finally got to finish the project. Everything works like a champ. running a 55/60 watt headlight, brake light/running light. Turn signals, and 55 watt fog lights. Couldn't be happier with it. Next gonna see if I can run a Vapor and still be charging the battery well.

do any of u fellow dr350 owners know if a dirt model 95 dr350 (factory headlight, but no battery and a kickstart only) can be fitted with a 3 phase stator and 3 phase regulator and still crank? I bought a regulator bc mine went out (i know its supposed to just run the lights, but for some reason my bike wouldnt run without it) the after market one was a 3 phase and bc of some damage that occured I had to replace the stator and the new aftermarket stator just happened to be a 3 phase too, i was told there wasnt any particular order to connect the 3 yellow wires on the stator and regulator( now I have an extra red wire to make a dc power suply connection) and they said to ground the black with white stripe wire outa the regulator. my old stator had a 2 pin plug(instead of the 3 yellow wires on the new one) the 2 pin plug went to 1 yellow wire(+ for the lights I assumed) and one black with white stripe(negative for the lights I assumed), the new regulator had 3 yellows with voltage enough a piece to run lights to choose from and the black/white wire I mentioned before that i was told is the ground so I made it the negative for the lights , but because the old stator had a 2 pin plug that included this black/white wire from the factory im starting to think it was a ground of some kind, Im just really confused, I wired up everything and Im getting no spark, the darn thing ran like new before the regulator went out, Ive even replaced the cdi since then and i get a spark sometimes, sometimes none, im about to burn it, Im wondering if the regulator does in fact have an effect on the engine operation of the dirt model non=battery dr350. im challenging the minds of everyone who comes to this site to give me some iota of understanding on this subject

it wont surprise me if nobody can understand what im saying, but I hope that someone from this site will have mercy on a poor country boy and atleast try to help me, I read a post about the polarity being reversed on an aftermarket stator too, but I cant get anyone that owns a dr350 with 2 pulse sensors to answer me back, If i could just get one person to tell me the normal readings and polarity and color of the wires on a running dr I could figure it out

On 5/4/2013 at 8:35 PM, trailblazer13 said:

it wont surprise me if nobody can understand what im saying, but I hope that someone from this site will have mercy on a poor country boy and atleast try to help me, I read a post about the polarity being reversed on an aftermarket stator too, but I cant get anyone that owns a dr350 with 2 pulse sensors to answer me back, If i could just get one person to tell me the normal readings and polarity and color of the wires on a running dr I could figure it out

Trailblazer im having same issue im just trying to find a right stator ive already swapped out cdi coil pack and plug wire only to find out my stator was bad

both my pickups work, its a really big pain is all. 😕