Sign in to follow this  

Yz250 or Ktm 200 exc ????

I have been narrowing my options for a new Bike for the past month and it has come down to a yz250. But When I get The money I am going to sell the YZ and get a Ktm I just want to know if I get used to the YZ should i just get a ktm 250 or get the Ktm 200 exc because I think 6 gears is the way to go so the yz is going to be a bit awkward for awhile but I'll get used to it. Really what I want to know is will a lightly to heavy modded 200 exc be better than a YZ250 with a pipe and performance reeds.

Thanks, Rob

What kind of riding? A yz250 will have more peak hp but a 200 will have more low end. I would get an EXC 250 or 300 once you come off of the YZ. EXC300 will have similar top end power as yz250 but it will have a lot more low end torque.

You can modify a YZ250 into any bike you want except it won't have lights or e-start. Popular mod is a YZ295 BBK from Eric Gore.

What kind of riding? A yz250 will have more peak hp but a 200 will have more low end. I would get an EXC 250 or 300 once you come off of the YZ. EXC300 will have similar top end power as yz250 but it will have a lot more low end torque.

I dont think a 200 has more bottom end then a YZ. Compared to a 125, yes, but the 250 is a beast.

Since you are considering a 200, you probably have woods riding on the agenda. If that's the case, any of the KTMs will be much better in stock form than the YZ. You'll have to spend a lot of money to get the YZ to work as well in the woods as a box-stock KTM (suspension mods for sure).

If you want to hit the track, see the MXA website. They discuss the various 2 stroke options.

Yea, for offroad get the 200. A friend of mine has one and loves it.

Since you are considering a 200, you probably have woods riding on the agenda. If that's the case, any of the KTMs will be much better in stock form than the YZ. You'll have to spend a lot of money to get the YZ to work as well in the woods as a box-stock KTM (suspension mods for sure).

If you want to hit the track, see the MXA website. They discuss the various 2 stroke options.

Handguards are not a lot of money. The YZ is excellent out of the box. You have to buy skidplate, rad guards, etc etc for the KTM also. As for the suspension, the YZ is and will always be better then the KTM. if your going for a revalve, it doesnt matter which bike. The only thing the 200 has an advantage box stock is lighting capabilities.

• Like 1

Ok Thanks guys! Im going to get a 200 exc after about 6 months of riding the yz and get some aftermarket for it so i dont feel like theres too much of a lack of power 👍

Dude,

I have a 2007 YZ 250, a 2005 200EXC, a 2004 YZ 125 and I just sold my 2003 300 EXC...what do you want to know?

2005 200EXC...9 oz. FWW, G2 Throttle Cam, Rekluse, Fatty Pipe, GPR.

2007 YZ 250...11oz. FWW, Gnarly Pipe, V Force Reeds, Fast Lap Suspension.

2004 YZ 125...Bone Stock, except heavier springs for my weight.

2003 300EXC...1 million bolt on mods, and a Gnarly Pipe.

I ride in Westpoint, anyone who has ever ridden there remembers it. Tight, Hilly, Rough. If you can ride Westpoint, you can ride anywhere. I sold the 300 to buy the YZ 250. I fell in love with the way the Yamaha handles in the woods, but the 125 didn't have the power to survive in westpoint. I was in an open field drag race with my 200, I was on the YZ 250 and never made it to 5th gear before the KTM was topped out in 6th... and I was pulling away.

I like the 200, it is great in the tight stuff. If I lost 50 pounds you would not be able to get me off of the 125...but I am going to ride my YZ 250 in the woods until I can't see straight.

But, for the record...coming off the YZ 250 and onto a 200 doesn't seem like natural progression to me. You might consider a 300.

I have no experience with a 2 stroke KTM 250. But, I had a 250 xcf-w...not a good experience.

Handguards are not a lot of money. The YZ is excellent out of the box. You have to buy skidplate, rad guards, etc etc for the KTM also. As for the suspension, the YZ is and will always be better then the KTM. if your going for a revalve, it doesnt matter which bike. The only thing the 200 has an advantage box stock is lighting capabilities.

Have you ever actually ridden these bikes of which you so authoritatively speak?

Have you ever actually ridden these bikes of which you so authoritatively speak?

Well no, but my sisters ex boyfriend has a 94 YZ 250 and a 03 KTM

200 and said that!

Rewarding the $$ comparision to get a 250 mxer to perform at the woods compared to a 200/300 xcw.

Here´s what happened to me:

I bought a kx250 ´07 for what seemed cheap to me since it was in mint conditions. I spent a lot of bucks on (handguards, skidplate, fww) only to be running out of gas in the middle of nowhere so i had to buy an IMS gas tank, etc..

A couple of months later i saw a ´06 200 xcw in mint conditions for the same ammount i paid for the kx.

I ended up paying more and i still have what many consider an ill geared and ill suspended bike for offroad purposes.

On the brighter side kx parts are cheaper and easier to get where i live. And i prefer the stiffer suspension of the mx bikes i have had rather than the softer from the enduro bikes i have had. I also prefere the mx gear ratio for tight woods... i only miss the 5th and 6th gear on open roads.