Sign in to follow this  

PVC vs. Fork Seal Driver

Going to be replacing my fork seals soon. I'd rather not dish out 40 buck for a seal driver. Is using PVC pipe a big no-no?

I don't have much experience with many brands. I'd go with price and availability. I bought a KYB kit from a local shop and the installation was a breeze and are lasting a long time

i use a pvc tube, but i glued an old fork seal to the pvc so that it puts equal pressure all around the seal and pushes it in evenly

• Like 1

KYB kit or OEM is the same thing (since your suspension is made by KYB) and either is probably your best bet for fit and longevity.

As for the PVC seal driver - it's worked perfectly for me many many times.

Awesome. Thanks guys 👍

i use a pvc tube, but i glued an old fork seal to the pvc so that it puts equal pressure all around the seal and pushes it in evenly

So you cut the seal in half to have two semicircles and then glued them to the top of the pieces of pipe?

how else to you get it on the fork?

Correct me if I'm wrong ......

The forks are out of the bike.

You slide the driver you've made (seal glued to PVC pipe) down over the tube from the top and press your new seals into place.

I'm with MaxPower here. ....... Why would it need to be split ??????

Greg

I picked up a PVC adapter fitting from the hardware store that had the ID of the fork tube OD on one end, and a much larger size on the other, to give me something to tap on. I split it in half with a cut off tool and and hinged it with some duct tape.

Correct me if I'm wrong ......

The forks are out of the bike.

You slide the driver you've made (seal glued to PVC pipe) down over the tube from the top and press your new seals into place.

I'm with MaxPower here. ....... Why would it need to be split ??????

Greg

you cut the old seals in half after they've been removed because most of us using pvc as a driver will cut the pvc in half length-wise just like a real seal driver. so you put the 2 halves together around the fork tubes to install. using the old seals in this manner helps protect the new seals from being damaged during the install process.

I cut about a 1" slot all the way down my piece of PVC pipe and slap it over the lower fork tube. I then use two hose clamps to compress the pvc pipe to the proper diameter. It's worked well for me the last 10 years. That is a good idea about using an old fork seal. When I replace my seals again I'm going to try this. Thanks for the tip!🤣

When removing and installing the seals heat up the seal housing on the upper fork leg with a heat gun. This procedure will lessen the damage to the fork bushing when seperating the fork and will make the install easier too.

you cut the old seals in half after they've been removed because most of us using pvc as a driver will cut the pvc in half length-wise just like a real seal driver.

I must be missing something here ....

I still don't understand why the PVC pipe needs to be cut in half.

Is it because the right ID PVC pipe is unavailable?

If the only reason people split the PVC pipe is because the "real" ones are done that way then isn't that a bit (with respect) silly?

Greg

If the only reason people split the PVC pipe is because the "real" ones are done that way then isn't that a bit (with respect) silly?

Greg

Because the lower fork tube is a different(smaller) diameter then the upper.

If you want to have the proper sized pvc pipe to accually be able to drive the seal in and not hit the outer diameter of the upper then you have to cut.

I'm curious to see how you accually have an effective home made seal driver that you can slide over the upper tube and down to the lower fork tube and still be able to drive the seals in.

I'd also be curious to see how you can slide a smaller in diameter fork seal over the larger in diameter upper? (with respect)🤣

I think I know where you might be coming from now. We're talking inverted forks here not standard. In standard forks, your statement would make complete sense.🤣

Edited by mikewrf18

If the only reason people split the PVC pipe is because the "real" ones are done that way then isn't that a bit (with respect) silly?Greg

that's funny. with repect, there's a reason that the store bought drivers are normally 2 pieces and once you do a few sets of seals on different bikes you start to see why. but i'll try to explain anyway:

there's no other way to get the pvc onto the slider portion, lower portion, of an usd fork tube due to the lower hardware for the axle that's attatched to the tube. plus you don't have to worry about having the exact perfect id on the pvc. with conventional forks it makes it just makes it a bit easier as you don't have to match the id perfectly.

the easiest way to understand why would be to just go give it a try. it's pretty obvious once you start doing the install.

there's no other way to get the pvc onto the slider portion, lower portion, of an usd fork tube due to the lower hardware for the axle that's attatched to the tube.

Aaaahhh .... yes OF COURSE!!

NOW it makes sense to me. 🤣

Thanks schrode!