Sign in to follow this  

In the market for a newer pickup

I found an 08 ram 1500 at one of the dealers nearby Im going to take a look at this weekend. My rangers been great to me the past 10 years, but I want something more spacious. This is a crew cab, i think its a lond bed, 4x4, 6 speed, 4.7 ltr, power everything. The main thing Im nervous about is the trans. Every Dodge owner I talked to says their transmissions suck. I know the trans is a getrag, no clue if its owned or made by daimler, but im still cautious. Any opinions, The stick is the only reason Im interested in this thing to begin with. And before you tell me how shitty their interior quality is, think of what Ive been driving the past decade. Thanks

I found an 08 ram 1500 at one of the dealers nearby Im going to take a look at this weekend. My rangers been great to me the past 10 years, but I want something more spacious. This is a crew cab, i think its a lond bed, 4x4, 6 speed, 4.7 ltr, power everything. The main thing Im nervous about is the trans. Every Dodge owner I talked to says their transmissions suck. I know the trans is a getrag, no clue if its owned or made by daimler, but im still cautious. Any opinions, The stick is the only reason Im interested in this thing to begin with. And before you tell me how shitty their interior quality is, think of what Ive been driving the past decade. Thanks

2 thinks you're going to hate about this truck.

- Long beds are a pain in the ass, and you shouldn't get it unless you really have a need for a long bed.

- The 4.7 ltr motor in a fullsize truck like that is a dog.

i personally like the interior of a Ram, so no quarrell there. Drive it and try passing someone on the highway, and parking it at the grocery store during peak hours; before you buy it. 👍

This is a crew cab, i think its a lond bed, 4x4, 6 speed, 4.7 ltr, power everything. The main thing Im nervous about is the trans. Every Dodge owner I talked to says their transmissions suck.

The tranny in that truck is 545fre which is actually a 3 speed tranny with two over drive gears. (not a 6 speed). It is a GREAT tranny and its also the same tranny they put behind the 5.7 hemi. Ive got 130K on mine, tow a toy hauler with it and have ZERO issues.

The 4.7 is also a GREAT motor. While its been great in my dakota, its not the motor I'd want in a full size truck! It doesnt have the after market support like other motors do. However, with the right intake manifold, HO cams and a set of gears, the 4.7 will put a nice smile on your face....it sure does mine!

The tranny in that truck is 545fre which is actually a 3 speed tranny with two over drive gears. (not a 6 speed). It is a GREAT tranny and its also the same tranny they put behind the 5.7 hemi. Ive got 130K on mine, tow a toy hauler with it and have ZERO issues.

The 4.7 is also a GREAT motor. While its been great in my dakota, its not the motor I'd want in a full size truck! It doesnt have the after market support like other motors do. However, with the right intake manifold, HO cams and a set of gears, the 4.7 will put a nice smile on your face....it sure does mine!

He did say it was a six speed which you could get in a half ton dodge in 08 but good thing you know more about the pickup than he does.

The dodge auto trannys are the ones with a bad reputation and especially the older ones. the manual trannys are much better in my opinion and the only way i would buy a dodge but i also like manuals much better. you should be able to tell a long bed pretty easy from looking but if not take a tape with you. long beds are great for hauling bikes and going riding but do kind of suck to park at the grocery store.

I was wrong, its a 6 1/4 foot bed. Im not sure the 8 ft is available on a crew cab 1/2 ton. Anyways, I bought an altima coupe a few months ago, so for power and agility, Ill stick with that. I need this thing because I do a couple track days a year at streets of willows. I need something that can sit 4 people comfortably, loaded down, and maybe towing my trailer. Its about a six hour drive from my house to the track. Thats really my only excuse for wanting it. Like I said, the rangers been awesome, but I'd really like something else now. What kind of fuel mileage should i expect on the highway?

IMO the chevy's and ford's are better built and should be able to find at a similar price point. If the Dog is cheaper than "other" trucks, then there is a reason for it!!

I hated my Dog, my Bro in law liked driving his, but the truck was a POS, sh!t just fell off of of it...including a freeze plug one day...👍...ok it was funny to me, as it wasn't my truck.

Just my opinion though, lost of people only by the dog's, of course some people really think there is a huge difference between Chev's, Ford's and Toy's when they really share a lot of the same EXACT parts!

The Dodge is a good truck the auto trans that Dodge has been using since 03 or so is solid. The 4.7l is a good motor but loaded down it will be weak. The hemi 5.7 is the way to go and will get better mileage. You won't be into it all the time.

No going back now, its sitting in the driveway. Drove really nice coming home. Learned quick to take off in 2nd gear. Was really worried about fuel economy during the test drive, as the overhead monitor never went above 11.8 mpg. I kept telling myself i wasnt buying for fuel economy so I rolled the dice... saw a nice 19.5 the whole way home (all freeway). In reality, if its around 17 I'll be thrilled. Im about 99% Ive got the updated 4.7. I read on a mopar site that an easy way to tell an old 4.7 from a new is that for 2008, it now has 8 sparkplug heads. Hopefully thats legit, because the difference is supposedly 235 hp vs 310. Only gripe so far is fault w/ the tpms. It came on about 30 miles after I picked it up, only reason i didnt flip it around was because only the sales office was open on sundays, no service. Ive got a one month/ 1000 miles warranty, + an additional 60,000, 5 year warranty, so it seemed like small fish. It had a pretty good shimmy at 70 when i test drove, so I made them rebalance (brand new tires and rims on all 4 corners). Probably botched something, as all 4 tires have around 40 psi. Ill take it to work and read the code so i know whats going on. I think its a really nice pickup though. Sits and drives like a truck should (ie: not a big car). Im happy w/ it and hope I get as much use from it as i did my ranger. Try to post some pics in a day or two.

Put a swatch of black tape over that overhead monitor and manually calculate your fuel mileage. Many times, the monitor is a fairy tale.

I drove the same truck, a new 2004, had it 4 years. It got 14mpg mainly highway and was a terrible dog. I rode with a friend that had the same truck but 2wd and the 3.7 and it felt about the same. I couldn't believe they put that small of engine the that big truck. The interior was kinda bland but held up very well. The only problem I had was 3 water pumps going bad.