Sign in to follow this  

170lbs. 5'11'' on a !44 or 125....To0 big?

Sup Fellas,

I am coming off a YZ 250 and looking at a KTM 125 or 144/150 for trail riding. I loved the 250, but I just got kinda too wild on it and had some decent accidents. I need to mello a bit, but love two strokes. A friend of mine got a 125 SX and LOVES it. Funnest bike he has ever ridden. He loves how light the bike is and handling. Am I too big for a 125 or 144/150? I don't want it if I will be boggin' all day. For those of you that have experience with these bike, give me your thoughts. Thanks!!

You are not too big;) As a matter of fact you are about perfect weight for a small bore. Get that bike then come out for the 24 hour at the end of Oct!

Joe..........

If you are looking for TRAIL RIDING - try the new 150XC - OR/BUT for anything a little older than that - you really should ride the 200 XC - or XCW.

I am a little bigger than you and absolutely love the 200 KTM bikes. for TRAILS.

The 144/150 would be OK too - but for trails........You just cannot beat that 200. I have owed the 250 YZ also.

Not too big----heck, we've got a guy that races mostly vitange now but was a fast A class guys back in the day. He's been pushing 300lb for a LONG time and he always prefers small bores. He raced a 144 at our most recent event and the MX part of the race was DEEP SAND.

However, he really likes the wide open throttle style which is how those small bores have to be run if you're trying to go fast. I, on the other hand, never liked having to run wide open for fear I'd blow it up at 185lb. Once I got fast enough to where having no power until 1/2 throttle hindered me, I went to a 250 2t then 450s.

This last season, however, I purchased an '11 Husqvarna TE310 (4t) and found that I HAD to wring it's neck to get punch out of it and adapted to that style fairly quickly.

Not too big----heck, we've got a guy that races mostly vitange now but was a fast A class guys back in the day. He's been pushing 300lb for a LONG time and he always prefers small bores. He raced a 144 at our most recent event and the MX part of the race was DEEP SAND.

However, he really likes the wide open throttle style which is how those small bores have to be run if you're trying to go fast. I, on the other hand, never liked having to run wide open for fear I'd blow it up at 185lb. Once I got fast enough to where having no power until 1/2 throttle hindered me, I went to a 250 2t then 450s.

This last season, however, I purchased an '11 Husqvarna TE310 (4t) and found that I HAD to wring it's neck to get punch out of it and adapted to that style fairly quickly.

I raced the same event you are talking about at Dyracuse. I distinctly remember seeing that guy. He was on a Husky and he was a big boy! He looked like he was getting around just fine.👍

@ 170 your going to have to ask yourself if you like running WFO all day as you will on the 125. 300lb on a 125 is a bit much LOL, and very uncommon for someone @ that weight to ride such a small bike and amazing he raced it bet the rebuilds it after every race LOL. Ride your buds and see how you like it. In the end it depends on how/where you ride. I havent ridden a 125 in years but want to try one (on a 200 now and went up to the 450 4t and hatted them the 07 250xcwf was ok but then i got my 200 i knew i had wasted 4 or 5 years and many $$$$$ on the bigger bores)

Try to actually ride a friends and ride a few different sizes if possible 125/150/200 poss even a 250F is open to 4ts.

I raced the same event you are talking about at Dyracuse. I distinctly remember seeing that guy. He was on a Husky and he was a big boy! He looked like he was getting around just fine.👍

I was surpised to see him there and in that class---he's stated several times that he hates the sand; plus, he's really into the vintage scene.

What class did you race?

My outing there was terrible---easily my worst race of the year and an aweful way to end my first year of racing. I had a huge crash on the MX track around the time of Crystal Falls so I hadn't ridden for about a month trying to nurse my shoulder and ribs back to health. I thought I'd be ok but my shoulder was giving out halfway though---then I crashed right after the SX track (before the access road to the ski jump) and went back to square one with my shoulder and decided to pull off. Thinking of doing the Mazeppa race next week-end to try out my 250XC.

I was surpised to see him there and in that class---he's stated several times that he hates the sand; plus, he's really into the vintage scene.

What class did you race?

My outing there was terrible---easily my worst race of the year and an aweful way to end my first year of racing. I had a huge crash on the MX track around the time of Crystal Falls so I hadn't ridden for about a month trying to nurse my shoulder and ribs back to health. I thought I'd be ok but my shoulder was giving out halfway though---then I crashed right after the SX track (before the access road to the ski jump) and went back to square one with my shoulder and decided to pull off. Thinking of doing the Mazeppa race next week-end to try out my 250XC.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I dislocated my left shoulder several times and broke a rib/punctured a lung. My shoulder used to be very loose but I finally got over it by exercising with a stretch band. I raced C class all year and finished 2nd in points my first year racing #424. Good luck with the shoulder. I'll check out the Mazeppa race you speak of. Maybe I'll go. Whats your number/class, I'll stop by and say hi at the next race. Name's Del Todd by the way.

Weight wise, you should be good for any of them. I work hard enough on the 200 to get up hills, so I consider it my stopping point for size. I would like to ride a 144, but know a 125 is just too small for me. I rode a YZ 125 once and felt like I was going to blow it up trying to get it to go. absolutely nothing down low. IDK if the KTM's are that way or not.

Ride them if you can, that is the best way to know.

I hear ya but those real little bore bike like to be man handled, Feels like they are going to grenade but that is just how they like to be ran. Run em in the meat, bitch slap em,, that is where they make their power.

Joe............

I have a hard time running them that way, keeping the tire spinning all the rime, especially in the woods with roots, loose and embedded rocks, slick stuff, etc. Makes the susp feel all bound up as well. I find that i can go much faster if i work with the bike and carry speed in the highest gear possible. I have to work a lot harder at keeping the bike on track that way too.

I need a helmet cam. I sometimes wonder if i have a wierd riding style.

I am 5'11" and just over 200 lbs.

I own a 125 KTM and a 300, my 125 is just fine for me.

In sand, mud, or hills it has to be run to red line but it will do this all day without grenading. In fact I have run it for several hours on the highway (it is street legal) at max revs without problems other than some vibration induced pipe cracks. If you are not racing it in some class, I might back the suggestion of the 200 for trail riding. More torque, more power, but still has the light weight, 6 gears and free reving nature of the 125.

Incidentally, my 300 is much lighter than my 125 (no battery and signal lights, etc) but feels heavier to drive. I really like the 125. On slippery or technical sections it is a much better bike than the 300 or 250. You can idle the bike over rocks and moss covered hills much easier. I will probably never sell my 125, and buying the 300, as much thrill as it is, confirmed that opinion.

25464_371300850802_549110802_5363884_1648893_n.jpg

I have a hard time running them that way, keeping the tire spinning all the rime, especially in the woods with roots, loose and embedded rocks, slick stuff, etc. Makes the susp feel all bound up as well. I find that i can go much faster if i work with the bike and carry speed in the highest gear possible. I have to work a lot harder at keeping the bike on track that way too.

I need a helmet cam. I sometimes wonder if i have a wierd riding style.

As soon as I hit the tight trees I ride the 200 the same way. Smooth and flowing a gear high. If I ride on the pipe in the tight stuff I run out of energy and start hitting trees. It hurts! The AA guys ride the same way only faster.