Sign in to follow this  

Jeep Wrangler question

My son is 16 and will be driving in the next year or 2. I was thinking about buying an older wrangler that we could fix up together, and he can learn some mechanical skills.

Well I found an older one that I like, good body, paint, 6cyl with standard.

The problem....no factory a/c and if you've ever been in south Louisiana in the summer, you know you wouldn't want anything without a/c.

So, the question is, do they come with vents/ducts and we can find and install the rest? (controls, compressor, evaperator etc).

I'll probably call the guy tomorrow, but some people will say anything to sell.

I wouldn't worry about AC but there is a company that makes a kit to put AC in, or find a parts jeep with AC to rob the parts off of.

I'm 16 and drive a wrangler too, they're nice vehicles to work on.

2011-10-04155133.jpg

I wouldn't worry about AC but there is a company that makes a kit to put AC in, or find a parts jeep with AC to rob the parts off of.

I'm 16 and drive a wrangler too, they're nice vehicles to work on.

2011-10-04155133.jpg

Does yours have a/c? if not, does it have the switches and vents/ducts?

Good choice for a vehicle to work on.

Easy to get to parts, 4wd and a fun fixer-upper.

But seriously...A/C? in a Jeep?

He's 16- doesn't he want to cruise around topless?

Ever spend any time in a hot, humid climate? :smashpc:

Does yours have a/c? if not, does it have the switches and vents/ducts?

I have A/C, it doesn't work but all the components are there. I think it needs a recharge and some new o-rings. I think the only thing different in the interior is the switch panel.

I'm keeping it though, I'm going to fix the A/C this winter along with a whole slew of other things I want to do to it.

I have been a jeep fan all my life. They are great for mechanics and teaching on easy to work on plenty of room. The only reason that my first vehicle wasnt a jeep is because dad was afraid I would roll it and kill myself.

That is a good looking jeep but kinda high for a 89. And if im not mistaken they started the 4.0's that year or in 90. Either way great motors. I have a 83 CJ-7 with the 4.2 in it:thumbsup:. Hard to beat it...well except my 76 renegade with a 401:banana:. So with that said I would keep looking you can find them with a/c and newer for less. Just gotta look a little. I just sold my 77 Cj-5 with a 304 in it 3 weeks ago thats how I ended up with my current bike after not having one for almost 15 years. Good to be back into riding.

Good luck to you and your son. Glad some fathers are still taking the time to teach there sons how to work on there vehicles. Try carfinder and auto trader they normally have some good deals on jeeps. Just be patient. And remember what jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket!

Not to be a wet towel, but have you checked what the insurance rate is going to be for a newbie teen male driver in a Jeep?

My daughter is $600/6mos, and that's liablity on a Ranger.

Not to be a wet towel, but have you checked what the insurance rate is going to be for a newbie teen male driver in a Jeep?

My daughter is $600/6mos, and that's liablity on a Ranger.

You're nice. I paid for my own insurance. 👍

You're nice. I paid for my own insurance. 👍

Oh no, my kid's paying for her own insurance, but she's on our policy (she pays the difference).

But, being the voice of reason (AKA buzz kill) father that I am, I taught her to research insurance rates by model before buying anything (among other things to research). Jeeps suddenly weren't cool. Same for sports cars.

I did make the deal that the vehicle, upkeep, maint, repairs, etc will be 50-50 as long as she stays on the B honor roll, follows the rules of the household, and does her chores.

But, she's gotta have her half in hand before I kick in one cent. And she's gotta pre-pay for her insurance.

89 is probably carburated. The stock carbs are not so good. If your state requires emissions you may not be able to go aftermarket. FYI

Ever spend any time in a hot, humid climate? 👍

Come on Bryan- at 16?

Wimps I tell ya.

I would have been cruising Van Nuys Bl looking for chickys with an open Jeep.

Lucky and spoiled kids today.

I didn't get a/c until...................23 years young.

Mazda B2000 1983.

Gutless truck with the a/c on.

Almost never ran it.

Ever tell you about the time I had to walk to school against a 100mph wind and 110 degrees?

Or 3 feet of blowing snow.

Sheesh...

I didn't have a vehicle with working AC until I was 21 either. MN summers are like LA year round...but at least we got a reprieve the other 51 weeks a year (winter).