Sign in to follow this  

can't get straight answer: Fractue distal left clavicle : plz advise

Hello,

5 days ago I fractured my clavicle. The E.R. doc ( who said he has suffered the same injury ) told me I could remove the splint at night, and lay my arm straight and parallel with and next to my body at night. Ive done this for 4 nights now. The nurse on the phone at the ortho clinic told me I must wear the splint at night, and I could elevate myself while sleeping. She told me it is very wrong to remove the splint. I will finally see the ortho doc untill this comming tuesday. Untill then can I get a straight answer?

http://farhadhanjan.com/images/gimp.png

you must hit zoom to see the fracture well.

Finally I would like to ask how to best adjust the splint. I'm trying to be pro-active so this thing will heal right. I have no instructions (how high? what about rib discomfort?), and the thing is damn uncomfortable. Furthermore the E.R. gave me a size L, but I'm 5' 10".

am I missing something or is that thing separated by quite a distance.

Hello,

5 days ago I fractured my clavicle. The E.R. doc ( who said he has suffered the same injury ) told me I could remove the splint at night, and lay my arm straight and parallel with and next to my body at night. Ive done this for 4 nights now. The nurse on the phone at the ortho clinic told me I must wear the splint at night, and I could elevate myself while sleeping. She told me it is very wrong to remove the splint. I will finally see the ortho doc untill this comming tuesday. Untill then can I get a straight answer?

http://farhadhanjan.com/images/gimp.png

you must hit zoom to see the fracture well.

Finally I would like to ask how to best adjust the splint. I'm trying to be pro-active so this thing will heal right. I have no instructions (how high? what about rib discomfort?), and the thing is damn uncomfortable. Furthermore the E.R. gave me a size L, but I'm 5' 10".

Forgive me for being frank here, but why would you seek medical advice in a TT forum? Sorry but it just seems pretty stupid to me. My advice to you would be to seek professional medical advice, and if two opinions differ, seek another.

Edited by OKVet

Forgive me for being frank here, but why would you seek medical advise in a TT forum? Sorry but it just seems pretty stupid to me. My advise to you would be to seek professional medical advise, and if two opinions differ, seek another.

why not? there's docs on here

I don't like the positon of the clavicle. The distance between the coracoid and the clavicle is considerably greater than the other side. When you get an X-ray of both sides on the same film it will be obvious. I would recommend a surgical repair to my patient.

Dr Mark is right! You will heal so much faster and with more long term power with surgery. Fly to Texas and see a real sports orthopedic surgeon! Be aggressive, in the mean time the splint at night on or off won't make any difference. Use the sling during the day to take the weight of the arm off the shoulder.

why not? there's docs on here

Simple, for several reasons. Read Dr. Mark's disclaimer. "All medical material on this site is provided for information purposes only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Patients should consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands their individual history in order to properly address individual concerns."

Simple, for several reasons. Read Dr. Mark's disclaimer. "All medical material on this site is provided for information purposes only and is neither advice nor a substitute for proper medical care. Patients should consult a qualified healthcare professional who understands their individual history in order to properly address individual concerns."

However, he posted an x-ray which is pretty obvious that there is reason for concern.

However, he posted an x-ray which is pretty obvious that there is reason for concern.

Who said there wasn't a reason for concern? It's just that you don't go to a fast food restaurant for filet mignon now do you?

my understanding was he wished to know if people thought he should seek another opinion. But I may have misunderstood his real question. And I believed he was wanting info from people that may have had the same injury in regards to their use of the sling

Who said there wasn't a reason for concern? It's just that you don't go to a fast food restaurant for filet mignon now do you?

Okvet have you ever visited or talked to Dr Mark? I have and so have several other folks on this forum. Several of us had to go see him because the local ortho, as you suggest to go see "F ed" it up. He is the most skilled person with a knife that I have ever met and won't hesitate to go see him again. A fast food restaurant, hmmm.

hi, my question was about the use of the sling, however I appreciate the input by doctor mark. I'm scheduled to see a ortho doc on Tuesday. Unfortunately, I'm uninsured and unemployed, and so I might recieve McD's type care. Thanks for the advice.

Okvet have you ever visited or talked to Dr Mark? I have and so have several other folks on this forum. Several of us had to go see him because the local ortho, as you suggest to go see "F ed" it up. He is the most skilled person with a knife that I have ever met and won't hesitate to go see him again. A fast food restaurant, hmmm.

No I haven't, but that is not the issue. I'm not questioning Dr. Mark's credentials nor his skills. I think you misunderstand, I'm talking about seeking medical advice in this forum, vs. going to Dr. Mark (or someone like him) and getting his professional opinion. Why is that so hard to understand?

No I haven't, but that is not the issue. I'm not questioning Dr. Mark's credentials nor his skills. I think you misunderstand, I'm talking about seeking medical advice in this forum, vs. going to Dr. Mark (or someone like him) and getting his professional opinion. Why is that so hard to understand?

This is a forum isnt it? Where we what? Discuss things and ask questions. Maybe you didn't realize that this is the Health and Fitness portion of the forum. If someome has a medical related question and we have a Board Certified Orthopardic Surgeon avalible to answers to those questions, what difference does it make to you. If Dr Mark provides a "professional opinion" everytime he reviews an xray that members post.

This is a forum isnt it? Where we what? Discuss things and ask questions. Maybe you didn't realize that this is the Health and Fitness portion of the forum. If someome has a medical related question and we have a Board Certified Orthopardic Surgeon avalible to answers to those questions, what difference does it make to you. If Dr Mark provides a "professional opinion" everytime he reviews an xray that members post.

The OP asked for advice on the use of the sling. While I'm sure Dr. Marks comments are medically correct, use of the sling was not addressed by him - why?? because of liability and the disclaimer he uses for his posts in here. Just my opinion though, you're welcome to yours.

hey discord let us know what the doc. says about the old clav. broke mine in four spots at the race track six years ago. I ve broke all kinds of bones and the clav. is the worst.

i think he's in agreement with mark. he wants to have another xray in 2 weeks, if it doesn't improve by then, i think its gonna be surgery. 👍 . Anyways I will be happy to have my arm back someday. Thx for your interest.

whatever you do, get it fixed right!!! i broke mine back when i was 16 (im 29 now) and one doc said i would be fine to put it in a splint and let it heal on its own. Another doc said it needed surgery to be set straight. Well it healed fine from what i could tell, and had been good for many years. Well the past 3 years havent been very promising. If i look in the mirror i can notice my shoulder is now a little bit shorter then the other one and now experiencing shoulder problems since i have have been working out and doing strenuous work (mostly shoulder rotation type moves) Granted i have injured this shoulder in the past from a wreck on the bike so i know the combitnation of the wreck and my previous clavicle break add up to the problems im having now. JMO

followup: below are scans of the last two xrays, the most recent being the second image:

http://farhadhanjan.com/images/gimp_0001.png

http://farhadhanjan.com/images/gimp_0002.png

the orthopedic surgeon said that i can now remove the splint, and preform a few exercises. He told me that surgery requires a 150% change in distance from the coracoid to the clavicle and that mine isn't separated that far. If I had a second opinion that agreed with that statement I'd feel better about removing the splint and starting exercises.

Edited by discord