Sign in to follow this  

Some questions about jetting a carb / running lean

so all my bits and peices are arriving on monday (Can't wait!), included is an MRD pipe, K&N filter, a JD jetkit and an extended fuel screw.

I don't want to pay my mechanic to fit it all and I'm quite mechanically minded so I'm going to install the pipe, cut the 3x3 and install the air filter (not exactly hard..)

however the carb jet has got me a bit nervous.. especially putting in the extended fuel screw as I believe there is drilling involved?

Has anyone had any experiences? Recommendations?

Alternatively if I cut the 3x3, put the MRD on (with quiet insert) and the filter and then rode it to my mechanic (~6km) so he can jet the carb to suit the mods, would the lean conditions damage the bike? I don't think it will but it's not a mistake I want to make =P

tl;dr

is it hard to install the extended fuel screw?

can you damage an engine significantly by running it lean for ~6km?

Search youtube for jetting a drz there is a great step buy step video on how to do exactly what your doing

Brilliant! That post is great, it should really be stickied in the FAQ's

He didn't really go into much detail about drilling out the old fuel screw though.. that's the bit I'm most worried about.

I have seen the video that you speak of Mehoff, but I just can't find it again!

Might just tape over the 3x3 and let them do it =P

found it!

it's called "DRZ400 3x3" and says nothing about the jetting in the title. It's a great walkthrough. I wonder if the JD kit/or Keintech fuel screw I ordered comes with a drill bit and screw to remove the cap and plug..

Don't even stress about that plug...its the easy part. In fact, jetting the carb is way easy....its getting the carb in and out that's a bit challenging. Good luck.

Don't even stress about that plug...its the easy part. In fact, jetting the carb is way easy....its getting the carb in and out that's a bit challenging. Good luck.

Brilliant, if my kit doesn't come with the right drill bit / thing to get the plug out do you have any suggestions? Also how do you know how far to drill?

Haha and yeah, not the whole hole =P

Well the directions with the kit will usually cover it, but you will need a small bit. Like 1/8" or so. Drill into the center of the plug very carefully. As soon as the bit passes through, pull out. Just below that screw is your air fuel idle screw. Some may need to force a screw into the drilled hole to yank the plug out but mine came out with the drill bit. No big deal.