Sign in to follow this  

Washington Will dunlop/michelin trial tires take road abuse?

I just put a Dunlop D803 on my XR250. First trial tire for me... thing is that I ride to walker valley from Arlington, with about ~10 minutes on hwy 9. sometimes I go to fishhead too or out by Oso.

I have heard a lot of mixed reports about trial tires *beside mt43* holding up on the road. I figure I will fill it to 20-25PSI for the road and it will be okay? I was going to go with the MT43 for the DOT part, but a friend gave me this tire.

I don't plan on any 100 mile trips across the pass or anything, just to get me to the trails

thanks

Chris

The 803 will start flinging knobs in short order with any on-road usage. The MT43 is the best compromise in trials tires I've seen yet (I'm no expert by any means). They hold up to a LOT of different types of riding very well if you watch your pressure.

Your idea of running higher pressure on the road is a good one. I'm running 803s on two bikes and a X11 on another; they all show signs of checking at the base of the lugs (the 803s more so than the X11). One 803 is quit bad but it is a multi year tire and has the most trail and gravel road mileage. I think the extra flexing from the low pressure (4-7psi) causes the checking but it sure bumps up the traction and help to clean mud from the tire.

The 803 and X11 are radials, the MT43 bias. Try the 803, you can always switch to a MT43 if you have problems.

I think your gonna wear that thing out pretty fast on the pavement. Also 20-25 PSI on the trail isnt gonna be the greatest improvement over a knobby. But hey, I've been wrong before.

Thanks for the advice.. I got an MT43_ for when the dunlop bites it. Ill give it a ride or two to see how it goes

I run. 7-10 psi on the trail... I pump them back up when I hit the road... Air down on the trail.

When you switch to the MT43, don't bother airing up. I run 8 PSI in mine all the time, if you air up the tire you will just wear down your center row of knobs too fast.

This is spot on. Too much air can kiss center row good bye

When you switch to the MT43, don't bother airing up. I run 8 PSI in mine all the time, if you air up the tire you will just wear down your center row of knobs too fast.

Good choice on the MT43!

Thanks for the advice.. I got an MT43_ for when the dunlop bites it. Ill give it a ride or two to see how it goes

I run. 7-10 psi on the trail... I pump them back up when I hit the road... Air down on the trail.

As a recent switcher from Dunlop to MT43 I can say I'm pleasantly surprised. My old 808 had cracks around all the knobs but hadn't yet started to toss 'em and that was with 1500 miles and several years on a KTM 450 (great wear and traction!!). Now the MT has no cracks around the knobs but I'm just entering wet root season and will have to see if I've lost much in traction ... price was better too!

As a recent switcher from Dunlop to MT43 I can say I'm pleasantly surprised. My old 808 had cracks around all the knobs but hadn't yet started to toss 'em and that was with 1500 miles and several years on a KTM 450 (great wear and traction!!). Now the MT has no cracks around the knobs but I'm just entering wet root season and will have to see if I've lost much in traction ... price was better too!

There is a trade off in performance when you go to the MT43 but if you spend any time on hard packed dirt roads or pavement it is the tire to go with. Speed kills the traditional trials tires by heating up the center lugs and throwing them as others have already suggested in this post.

Never had any luck with the Dunlop. Torn up in short order with a few rides at Taneum. The MT43 will hold up very well just not as sticky as a Mich, IRC or Dunlop.

Having run both as well (803 / MT43) the 43 lasts WAY better on the road and is a great road tire. The 803 get WAY better traction than the 43 in the gnar. It is a trade off.

I have both the MT 43 and the Dunlop 803...the 803 on the 450ktm has done real well but I can tell you if you take one on the asphalt forget it..it will chunk but still last on the trail..did 5 days on the trail in Mexico with the middle gone!!!! Glad to get some feedback on the MT43..i have it on my crf230..I guess i have too much air..I will run 7-10 lbs. The tire seems to work and gives me confidence in the rough stuff. I'ts almost time for another rear on the KTM so I think it'll be a MT43.

thanks for the info my man....the 803 has worked well but I think I'll get the MT43 for the 450exc..and put the recommended 7-10 lbs!!! makes a lot of sense...to me!!! thanks

Don't forget about the Shinkos.

I have been running the 225 radial, it's held up a lot better than the 803's or the MT-43's.

SR241 SERIES (biased ply)

DUAL SPORT TIRE

The SR241 is a versatile performer with a tough nylon carcass and high dimpled knobs that work well in a variety of terrain. The narrow knobby configuration means less of an environmental foot print while on the trail.

sr241-series.jpg

4 ply rated, tube type

P (94mph) or L (75mph) Speed Rating

DOT approved

All sizes work for front or rear fitment

RAIL PRO 255 RADIAL

OFF ROAD TIRE

The Trail Pro 255 has a super soft compound with a highly flexible radial carcass that provides excellent grip on rocks and other slick terrain. This tire works excellent in gnarly singletrack terrain.

CAUTION: The 255 Trail Pro is a D.O.T. approved tire but is not recommended for commuter/continuous highway use. It is a tire for serious off road and trials applications and can be legally used "on highway" to connect off road trail heads. For dual sport use, we recommend the Shinko 241, 244, 700 or 705 series tires.

trail-pro-255-radial.jpg

Lightweight, reduces un-sprung weight for improved performance and maneuverability

Available in 18 and 19 inch rear radial sizes

19 inch size allows use by most all full size motocross bikes without changing rear rims

DOT approved

Having run both as well (803 / MT43) the 43 lasts WAY better on the road and is a great road tire. The 803 get WAY better traction than the 43 in the gnar. It is a trade off.

Exactly. And the X11 has better traction than the 803 but seems more focused for a lighter weight bike (Trials). I can climb wet clay hills on my Montesa with a X11 that I couldn't walk on let alone attempt on a dirt bike with a knobby or 803s.

Since I don't do much road riding with my dirt bikes I chose 803s but will continue using X11s on my Trials bike. If X11s were cheaper I would consider trying them on my dirt bikes but the 803s are half the price at Cycle Gear.

I tried a TT several years ago and liked them so much they are now on all of my dirt bikes!👍

Thanks for the info ...i need another tire for the rear of the 450 and will check it out for sure. i have the M43 on my crf230 already ..why i changed i don't know. i like the 803 but it sure does not hold up well on the road!!!!!!!!!!!

can I run a non radial on the front???????

I do, works pretty good especially for DS. MT43

DSCF9853-L.jpg