Sign in to follow this  

yz125 to learn?

1. Provide your height, weight and skill level

6', 155lbs, 18 years old. haven't ridden in about 5 years. xr80, rode a few dozen times. i'm almost a complete beginner.

2. Specify your price range if that's a limiting factor

3. Describe the terrain types & conditions the bike will be ridden in.

wide trails and open fields. maybe practice tracks and dunes later on.

Can I learn on a 125 two stroke? I want a two stroke so I can wrench on it myself and because it's cheaper to maintain. I've been reading different forums and it seems about split on people's opinions on learning on a two stroke. Some say it will make you a better rider, other people say it will scare you off bikes. What do you guys think?

deffinatly go a 2 stroke 125 mate best bike to learn on

teach's you everything you need to know throttle to brake to clutch control and body position

dont be afraid of the band caus ethats when you will get hurt

your clutch is your best friend

you will only go as fast as your right wrist flicks and if it gets to much just pull the clutch back in and hit the rear brakes

also practice usieng your front brakes alot so they dont lock up

most of your stopping power is the front brakes

i started out on a yz490 2 stroke and honestly i wish i had started on a 125 2 stroke

the 125 is also better to learn on then a 2 stroke 80

as the 80's have really snappy band and are honestly even harder to ride then a 125

honestly mate if you respect the power a 125 is perfect to start out on

i never died learning on the 490 and its a absolute beast but i respect the power and in return the bike wont hurt me

a 125 is also the best to start on as it teach's you everything you will ever need to know about riding a bike

trust me you wont regret it and mate as i said dont be afraid of the band just so small dose's of it at 1st and get the feel of it and feel when the band is ganna hit

it all takes practice mate you will get there :smashpc:

the 490 was ether ride it correctly or die trying lol

big steep learning curve mistakes pay greatly

start in a very open area mate with nothing you can hit you will be fine

thanks for the reply, a lot of good info. makes me feel more confident, some of what ive read online is enough to scare a newbie away from a two stroke completely.

after all the reading ive done, i think i want a yz. seems to be generally regarded as the best 125. whats some good years i could get for around 2,500?

if you do ride it in trails , you will be insane with clutch skills if you get into some hard super technical trails, and it's not like you've expeirienced some super slow bike brecently, and this is going to be a night and day, you'll like you said, LEARN!

all in all go for it, why? because it gets you riding, it doesn't matter what you ride or how fast you are, all that matters is that we all ride "together" 👍

deffinatly go a 2 stroke 125 mate best bike to learn on

teach's you everything you need to know throttle to brake to clutch control and body position

dont be afraid of the band caus ethats when you will get hurt

your clutch is your best friend

you will only go as fast as your right wrist flicks and if it gets to much just pull the clutch back in and hit the rear brakes

also practice usieng your front brakes alot so they dont lock up

most of your stopping power is the front brakes

i started out on a yz490 2 stroke and honestly i wish i had started on a 125 2 stroke

the 125 is also better to learn on then a 2 stroke 80

as the 80's have really snappy band and are honestly even harder to ride then a 125

honestly mate if you respect the power a 125 is perfect to start out on

i never died learning on the 490 and its a absolute beast but i respect the power and in return the bike wont hurt me

a 125 is also the best to start on as it teach's you everything you will ever need to know about riding a bike

trust me you wont regret it and mate as i said dont be afraid of the band just so small dose's of it at 1st and get the feel of it and feel when the band is ganna hit

it all takes practice mate you will get there 👍

the 490 was ether ride it correctly or die trying lol

big steep learning curve mistakes pay greatly

start in a very open area mate with nothing you can hit you will be fine

Kudos, I respect a man that knows his shit about TRUE riding.

03 and up for a kx

04 and up for rm

don';t get a cr

05 and up yz

don't get a ktm

get a cr if its i think 06 or 07, they fixed the tanky motor after like 04 or 5 ithink. buddies got an 07 and it's insane.. and it hasn't had a SINGLE problem!

03 and up for a kx

04 and up for rm

don';t get a cr

05 and up yz

don't get a ktm

thanks, man. can anyone tell me what to look for when buying a used bike? what should i do maintenance wise after getting it, besides oil change and air filter? and can anyone recomend me a good single bike carrier for an suv? i drive a tahoe.

thanks, man. can anyone tell me what to look for when buying a used bike? what should i do maintenance wise after getting it, besides oil change and air filter? and can anyone recomend me a good single bike carrier for an suv? i drive a tahoe.

Oh, so they fixed the Cr, k add that to the list lol.

Uhm, your gonna wanna check all your bushings to start ie. Swingarm, steering, wheelbase front and back. Check these for play, if they wiggle up/down/left/right or any direction you'l know that you have to replace theese.

First thing when you get there put your hand on the engine, pipe whatever gets hot and is closest. You;ll know the difference between sun hot and engine hot.. if it is hot the guys trying to hide something and I would not get it.

If the bike has like a clicking sound going on you'll know that its going to need a rebuild, sort of like this video..but don;'t get confused with the tinging of a 2 stroke.

It will need the choke to start cold, so don't worry.

If it's modern it should really only take 1-2 kicks, maybe 3 if its really cold out..if its not you'll know it hasn't been maintained well.

I had another one but its slipped my mind for the time being

Oh, so they fixed the Cr, k add that to the list lol.

Uhm, your gonna wanna check all your bushings to start ie. Swingarm, steering, wheelbase front and back. Check these for play, if they wiggle up/down/left/right or any direction you'l know that you have to replace theese.

First thing when you get there put your hand on the engine, pipe whatever gets hot and is closest. You;ll know the difference between sun hot and engine hot.. if it is hot the guys trying to hide something and I would not get it.

If the bike has like a clicking sound going on you'll know that its going to need a rebuild, sort of like this video..but don;'t get confused with the tinging of a 2 stroke.

It will need the choke to start cold, so don't worry.

If it's modern it should really only take 1-2 kicks, maybe 3 if its really cold out..if its not you'll know it hasn't been maintained well.

I had another one but its slipped my mind for the time being

thank you, a lot. really helpful info.

would you advise against a 2002 yz? reason is i live in california and i want a green sticker. i found one on craigslist a little over an hour away from me i might go check out.

"2002 YZ125 This bike has a brand new green sticker, starts easy, comes with a paddle tire, Stock and pro circuit pipes, fmf muffler, frame gaurd & skid plate, pro taper fat bars and a few other extras. $1200 no trades"

i would make sure it has a title if you even need them in cali but if you do its something id look into because the cops will harass you haha also check the spokes for any play if it was a bigger guy riding it before you

price dropped to 1k, should i make the trip to check it out?