Sign in to follow this  

Cold weather jetting advice.

Hey Guys!

I'm considering taking my bike out for ice racing, snow riding, etc.

I have the JD jet kit but it doesn't really talk about jetting at like -20C haha.

You snow riders, how do you go bout jetting your bikes? Do you have a process?

I'm at sea level (1200), temp is like -10 to -30.

AIS, etc removed, FMF full exhaust, air box snorkle removed.

Thanks for advice :smashpc:

I don't know about anything below -15 but on the ice in Yellowknife I ran the blue needle and 175 main If it's too cold you will have an issue maybe cover the rads to retain heat if you are going out below -15. I found anything below -15 is too uncomfortable for the bike and yourself.

Better to take out the sled in colder weather

So you should normally go richer in cold weather then?

I cannot afford a snowmachine, and if I could I have no hwere to put it hehe. I was thinking of getting a 2moto track conversion for my bike and trying that in the winter.

I just changed the needle for running the ice, I run 175 main year round. Living on Vancouver Island again so I will keep running the red needle and the 175 main not too much ice to run out here.

I run #165 mj on ice, I don´t change needle jet because on full throttle it dosent matter.

Don't knock it till you try it. Stud up the tires and the bike handles like it's on rails.

I enjoy running the sled trails and it gets a little tricky on the open lakes if the snow is too deep or the tracks aren't hard enough. Never had the balls to try the racing but I watched my friends go by in 5 pinned and the bars inches off the ice. Very cool looking

that does sound like fun. just wish it was warmer.... =P post some pics sometime man. we haven't seen a klx doing something like that yet

I ride in winter when it's at least 40 F out. It's not bad but I don't run studs and sometimes get stuck in the fluffy stuff lol. I use my standard jetting and find that it runs fine. Maybe a little rich but not too bad:thumbsup: