Sign in to follow this  

06' KX250 Problem

I have an 06 kawasaki kx250 i bought over the summer, the bike fouled 4 plugs within 2 days. An hour later on the new plug the piston Exploded in the cylinder sending shrapnel into my crank ruining everything except the transmission. It was completely toast. Coolant was good, oil was good, gas mixture was at 32:1.

Its being repiared currently, and i was wondering what might have caused this engine failure, and how to make sure this doesnt happen again once its running again. (2700$ repair!!)

P.S. mechanic tells me that there were 05' parts in the engine, could that have contributed to the problem? (this bike was used, im the 3rd owner)

The piston had to many hours and kick the bucket. It's not uncommon, what happens is the skirt on the piston wears out and finally falls apart.

If the bike did have 2005 parts it wasn't the cause of the problem, the 05-07 kx250's were almost identical.

To make sure this doesn't happen again you need to do top end rebuilds on your bike, It's up to you when you do them but they need to be done before things like this happen. I myself wouldn't go over 35-40 hours on a piston, but i beat the crap pit pf my bike.

Oh and you can run a forged piston and it should lessen the chance of this happening again, but it doesn't mean you can neglect it.

$2700 to repair it? Seriously? Might as well junked the bike on EBAy and found a new one. I just picked up a 2007 YZ250 (Still had orig tires, chain and sprockets) for $2500

$2700 to repair it? Seriously? Might as well junked the bike on EBAy and found a new one. I just picked up a 2007 YZ250 (Still had orig tires, chain and sprockets) for $2500

That is rough man, I just picked up an 06 for 1800!

I will buy just the blown motor off you for 200 👍

You dont want this motor, every bearing, all gaskets, the crank, everything internal is shot.

2700 total for the repairs, (parts were originally just 1500), this mechanic is a rip-off but id rather just pay it and get it over with.

an 06 for 1800? Got mine for 3K.

guess people know a sucker when they see one

EDIT: the cylinder head and jug are cracked aswell.

Nah, there are no usuable parts on this motor at all, and ive taken the tranny out of this one to put into the new motor I got. just waiting on a powervalve govenor and its done.

The plug fouling was caused by either too-rich jetting for the weather and altitude, or a leaking wet-side crank seal.

The piston grenaded because it had too many hours on it.

This thread is a perfect example of why any time you purchase a used bike, unless you absolutely know the history of the bike, the engine should get a rebuild before you ever ride it. $150 for a new top-end before you rode the bike and you wouldn't be in this situation.

I couldnt agree more, I was thinking the exact same thing. unfortunatley, I cant change that now and Its costed me alot!!

im possibly selling this bike and buying something else, and when that happens, i am definatley doing a top end rebuild and jetting check.

I couldn't agree more, I was thinking the exact same thing. unfortunately, I cant change that now and Its cost me allot!!

I'm possibly selling this bike and buying something else, and when that happens, i am definably doing a top end rebuild and jetting check.

Before you start selling a perfectly good bike (once you put it back together) think again. Don't go too far and just wander over to the four stroke sites and you will Schiete your self with the cost of a new motor . You can find a complete rolling chassis of 2010 bikes for 1000.00 which is still too much. total cost of rebuilding a modern four stroke is far more than a two stroke. That bike you have is a gem but the engine failure I have to say is NOT the bikes fault. It was worn out and if you go through the effort to rebuild make sure you know exactly what is being done to it and you will have a bike that will last a good long time. 👍

Lol I'm not planning to buy a 4stroke for a while, i already have a CRF100F and a 1980 XR250 that im rebuilding currently as a school project. Im only considering selling it because now Im bone dry in the bank department.