Sign in to follow this  

FMF pipe question

I've got this pipe: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/31346-fmf-043114-silencers-fmf-factory-4-1-slip-on-exhaust-natural-titanium

BUT:foul:.... I had my 450 out and the mounting bolt that holds it to the subframe fell out at some point so all of the weight of the muffler was on the pipe only. The muffler and the pipe are held together by a set of springs but the pipe has pulled out of the muffler causing a small leak now that I replaced the bolt. It appears to be a ball/socket type of connection for lack of the proper term.

I've never opened up a muffler or messed with one so can someone point me in the right direction to fix this. Is it as simple as remove the pipe, pull the endcap and packing and slide the pipe back thru the muffler body and rehook the springs or am I missing something?

BTW is on an 04 CRF450R. The link is just for example of the model pipe I'm dealing with.

Usually the bolts that you take out of the muffler to repack it are at the front of the muffler and not at the endcap. They are usually four allen head screws and when you take these out you just twist and pull on the pipe and maybe might have to take a rubber mallot to hit the pipe with at a angle and the outer casing of the muffler will come off x-posing the packing.

Keep pulling the pipe til you have it all the way out. Now you will have a clear view of inside the muffler. When putting it back on,just take your time and have the screw holes inline and stuff the packing in as you go. If it has been awhile since you have repacked the exhaust then you might wont to repack it while you have it off.