Sign in to follow this  

what effect may fork sag have on valving

out of curiosity i want to know if fork sag has any effect on valving as i read on some threads that it does....like if you want to keep the forks higher on the stroke???

example might help, like my wp cc forks what i would be gaining loosing if i run more or less preload shims on the fork springs within a logical range???

i believe max is 5mm??

excluting offcaurse the changes in chassis geometry!!!

the fork action is - other than on the road - up and down every time due to the bumps.

now that the low speed damping is stiffer, the fork moves less in the same time, it doesn't dive so far.

this is how I understand it.

vice versa I can't see any influence of the sag (except stiffer springs create faster rebound) to the valving

well sometimes you hear using stiffer spring to keep the fork higher on the stroke than the usuall recommented of say 2-3 inch of sag!!

i can imagine that you may want to keep the fork away from the progression you get from the compression of the air cell but thats like 9-10 inches of travel right???

the air cell starts to ramp up damping at midstroke

i guess thats why my wp cc became harsher a bit after adjusting to 75 mm sag

Also when i added 3 clicks on my comp setting for the track i could feel the forks riding higher than normal,

without any significant stiffness/harshness added to the ride 👍

Edited by wblake