Sign in to follow this  

Converting a KX 85 to a super mini???

We have a KX 85 that the motor bit the dust on @ few races ago and the engine builder told us for the same price he can turn it in to a 112. We bought a RM 85 and my son likes the power curve much better than his KX so he'll be racing the RM 85 in 12-15 85SR next year and will be twelve and able to race Super Mini.

What do I need besides larger wheels and a KX 100 swing arm to get the bike up to Super Mini or KX 100 status?

You will also need: ARM-SUSP,UNI TRAK 39007-1262 to make the suspension right.

And you'll need the longer brake line from the KX100.

Search this site for info but I would be careful about a 112, very hard to keep running right. Look into the 103.

We have a KX 85 that the motor bit the dust on @ few races ago and the engine builder told us for the same price he can turn it in to a 112. We bought a RM 85 and my son likes the power curve much better than his KX so he'll be racing the RM 85 in 12-15 85SR next year and will be twelve and able to race Super Mini.

What do I need besides larger wheels and a KX 100 swing arm to get the bike up to Super Mini or KX 100 status?

I don't want to beat anybody down but if you can buy a stroker rebuild for the same money as a stock rebuild then either one is way too expensive or the other is extremely inexpensive. The stroked mini's are just time bombs. Those little bearings and cases are not meant to handle the additional pressure. There is plenty of HP to be had keeping the stock crank and massaging the 85cc cylinder to 105cc, port work and carb. work included.

I have never worked with these guys but here is a little info. http://www.maxrpms.net/shop/index.php/motorcycle-kits/mk-kawasaki/kx85.html?SID=7uai437ufpue29r90q8gjkia44

I use DJ at Pro Action and have for many years.

Is the frame the same on the 100 as it is the 85?

I've seen some very fast KX superminis. They use the 85 jug. Bore it for the 100 piston, and get the engine ported and stuffed. They are super reliable and really fast. All 112's are head aches from what I've seen. When they are running they are strong, but constant wrench turners. Lots of people recomment surfnturf racing when they get supermini's built. Seem to build a solid performing, reliable engine.

If you're new to the game do a 103 if you like constantly tuning to get every ounce of power get a 112. 6mm stroke and stock bore is the ticket BUT you'll spend more than double in labor than you would for a 2mm stroke and 54.50 bore.

This time of year here jetting changes daily.

And whoever you choose they should discuss how you want it built or your rider preference and types of tracks. Don't settle for a generic cookie cutter build like most out there give you. Been around the block a few times on this and yes many of the bigger names fall into this category.

Every builder will have a legion of fans & nay Sayers, Check Forward motions site, there's some great info on it. For what it's worth, I use Eric for all of my sons engine work. www.ericgorr.com/index.html 👍

That's who I'm using... I just drive to his shop:)