Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke vs 4 stroke.

Should i get a cr125 for trails only, or a crf250r for trails only. money is an issue i can only spend a little over 2 grand. 15 and 135 thanks

If money is an issue, i'd say the 125 will treat you better. I say this, simply because of the rebuild costs of the CRF250r. And most likely anything in your price range will need a rebuild soon.

A 250 2 stroke makes a much better trail machine than a 125 though, at least in my opinion.

For trails only bike in your budget, I'd recommend the KDX200. If you can scrape a little more, KTM200. The 200 has a longer service interval than a 125, and more low end power for trails. It takes a pretty competent rider to manage a 125 when trail riding. Lots of clutch work, as they have very little low end power and need to be kept "on the pipe". Fouling plugs is only an issue if your jetting is off.

What is your weight and Height? makes a big difference on what size bike to use, I have used 125's and found them a little lacking in power on steep switchback type trails, at high altitudes, however there small size makes them easy to lift & carry if you have to. I would say a 250 would be my choice, my favorite is 350, but size and weight start becoming a issue. If a 2 stroke is set up correctly and you know how to operate it properly, plug fouling should never be an issue.

+1 on the KDX 2T

Cheep to buy

Cheep to keep

Cheep to fix

and fun to run

plus if you keep it up you can sell it for most of what you paid for it when and IF you want to upgrade.

You can get a 250 two stroke in really nice condition for under 2000 on Craigslist, Im going to pick up 1998 yz 250 on sunday :ride: ill post some videos. But i would definitely go with a two stroke no matter what. Also ive ridden my Friends kdx 200 and thats a really nice bike good power and nice handling. four strokes are for people who cant handle the awesome power of a 2 stroke 👍

one of my good friends is about your size, and rides a 250. The 250 will probably be more relaxing on the trail. I.E. you'll have power over a broader range of rpms, and more torque for the technical sections. However the 125 will be lighter and probably handle better as well as be more fun if you ride it right. the downside is fowled plugs and having to stay in the power band in order to have power. either bike will be a kick in the pants good time good luck on your choice.

im sorry erniez but you said fowled plugs...like chickened plugs?or ducked plugs?...yeah im an ass but that cracked me up:thumbsup:👍

its fouled:smirk:

Besides, whether your 2 stroke is fouling plugs, or fowling them, something is wrong with it 👍. Luckily, nothing a little tuning and avoiding the local wildlife can't fix.