Sign in to follow this  

Another float question!

I'm very confused with the measuring the float and I have read serveral threads so I just want to be clear on this once in for all.

So I have this:

20.1x4

17.1x4

and a 2.00mm collar

If you do the math as some sudgested to me, with the 1mm piston recess the float will be .20 but if I do the measuring with the caliper with the piston upside down and putting the collar and shims on place, then measuring over the shims and the second measure over the collar then I get .15 float.

And with the filler gouge I can stick even a .30 in as the shim bends:banghead:

So how I do it?👍

You measure it the first way which is:

Measure the collar

Measure the recess

Measure the shims individually

Collar - Recess - Shims = Float

Your maths is correct,

2mm collar minus 1mm recess = 1mm for shims and float

1mm - 0.8mm of shims = 0.20mm float.

When you try to measure it, the feeler gauge method will always flex the shims giving a false (large) reading.

Also measuring as you describe "with the caliper" will always give a false (low) reading due to compound error.

Use maths every time and you have a standard way of working.

I use a feeler and make sure it's not a tight fit, it should slide in smooth , prefereably use 2 feeler gauges one each side

Your maths is correct,

2mm collar minus 1mm recess = 1mm for shims and float

1mm - 0.8mm of shims = 0.20mm float.

When you try to measure it, the feeler gauge method will always flex the shims giving a false (large) reading.

Also measuring as you describe "with the caliper" will always give a false (low) reading due to compound error.

Use maths every time and you have a standard way of working.

Agree. Just use whatever method you prefer but use the same process at all times. If I am going to test my measurement I use a shim for a "feeler gauge". If you calculate .25 float, put an extra .25 shim on the stack with a larger OD than the clamp shim and see if you can turn the shim with the nut snugged. Try different thickness to see what will still turn with some drag. Just don't cut your fingers...

Once the nut is properly torqued the float will tighten some due the metal being slightly compressed. Probably only .02 or so though.

👍

I use a feeler and make sure it's not a tight fit, it should slide in smooth , preferably use 2 feeler gauges one each side

But my way is the right way...who are you anyway? :ride:👍

:worthy:

But my way is the right way...who are you anyway? :worthy:👍

all you guys should do a shootout:

1. complete fork service (with only one hand)

2. ride your own crap on a track with rocks and ruts you normally need a gas gas trial

3. another fork service after having 5-6 beer, including measuring the float with a yard stick... :ride:

all you guys should do a shootout:

1. complete fork service (with only one hand)

2. ride your own crap on a track with rocks and ruts you normally need a gas gas trial

3. another fork service after having 5-6 beer, including measuring the float with a yard stick... :ride:

Yea I'm waiting to see if Mog catches my drift...👍

I've heard Dwight's helmet is the size of a washtub...they had to do a re-route at the last National Enduro because his big head wouldn't fit through the trail...:worthy:

0pZrsCcDK7TgEI9KWWMIeruiZ-Z8DxGvHd8K_x8dkQc1AH72PEgFpsMiK3ZJR-2nDroXqrF33veV4NDwBzA2-bT19dpjF7ZKnZUYv40-Kc3KtHlHfsgFgA-22vlS_cSfKNyOUjgiaV-8tHwuIG27yZnKpssT1qwQEMpnw1XbOkJc7eUE3T7AaSNciPftiqT235pj_x5-hZxp_f1bYrrqZNjCE-TrANM7K-BYxHSXAheOcN_ceiwwesZDL3tGIJwu8GTCQQzhMm4vGH03PgFNZRSQ2tz7zI1OlfrGazpPNqpk

Yea I'm waiting to see if Mog catches my drift...👍

I've heard Dwight's helmet is the size of a washtub...they had to do a re-route at the last National Enduro because his big head wouldn't fit through the trail...:ride:

I heard one of his forks springs broke.

fortunately there was a guy with a ball pen at the track, so they could replace the spring

I heard one of his forks springs broke.

fortunately there was a guy with a ball pen at the track, so they could replace the spring

LMFAO! :ride:

👍

You guys !

It's all in good fun...at least for us! I mentioned Dwight to a local Masters A guy one time...he never has a lot to say but said, I just call him SOB...and he wasn't lying. They apparently had some words at a National Enduro and Dwight did his usual "do you know who I am"...ummmmm...yep. SOB! 👍:ride:

lol caught on too late

I had to leave, but I was laughing the whole evening about this "re-route" thing

👍