Sign in to follow this  

xr650r. Leaking gas from overflow tube.

Fuel is dumping out of the overflow tube when the bike is standing straight up and when leaned over on the kickstand.

I took the float and float valve out of another XR I had but it's still leaking.

What else should I be looking at? Is there a float valve seat that needs to be cleaned? Or something else?

thanks

I took them out of my other XR that's not leaking. I just swapped the parts and reassemble both carbs.

The "good" carb still doesn't leak with the parts from the "bad" carb. But the original carb is still leaking?

The guy I bought it from, claimed it wasn't leaking prior to selling it to me but I got the feeling it had been sitting for a couple years. Inside the carb looked perfectly clean.

Can I blow air through the fuel hose down into the carb to clean that seat?

I took them out of my other XR that's not leaking. I just swapped the parts and reassemble both carbs.

The "good" carb still doesn't leak with the parts from the "bad" carb. But the original carb is still leaking?

The guy I bought it from, claimed it wasn't leaking prior to selling it to me but I got the feeling it had been sitting for a couple years. Inside the carb looked perfectly clean.

Can I blow air through the fuel hose down into the carb to clean that seat?

You've got to get eyes on that seat. Most likely it is varnished enough to no have a smooth enough surface for the rubber tip on the float needle to seal.

Get in there and clean and polish the seat with some brass cleaner. Do NOT try to re-grind seat. Also clean and polish the 'cavity' the float needle sits in, as it will get varnished and the needle will get 'sticky' in there.

Just took it apart again. Is the "clip" type thing on the float valve suppose to clip to the tang on float? This one wasn't and I seem to remember it being on another XR.

Well.....I clipped the float valve to the tab on the float prior to installation and it's no longer leaking.

Seems I remember installing the float valves before without doing this and when disassembling, they magically orient themselves to clip to the tang. At least I think this is what happened.

I ripped it up and down the street a few times, stopping to see if I could get it to leak and nothing yet. Time will tell.