Sign in to follow this  

should i buy a 2002 YZ250?

i curently have a 1987 kdx 200 and would like to upgrade to a newer bike. mine runs great and looks pretty good for being 23 years old but would like to have a newer bike. i found a 2002 yz250 for sale on craigslist supposedly has been rebuilt and their asking $950 for it. i guess my question is isnt that a lil low it looks real clean plastics, not that im wanting them to ask more, but is there something about that year thats real bad or is there prob something i should be causiuse of cause its been rebuilt?

Well one thing is that the yz250 is going to be a lighting bolt compared to any kdx200..But it really depends on were you live.I got my 2000 Kx 250 from my dads buddy for $1150. It had 12 hours on the WHOLE bike, the guy was in need of money and had several back surgeries. Go for it 👍

$950 seems a bit low but if all the paper work is there and it runs well then go for it.

Smokin' deal as long as work was done competently , not by some METH monkey! Go for it if its legit. Good luck.

hey guys that one sold way too fast so i found another one that is a 2000/2001 yz250 for $1000 and after talking to him he went down to $750 i took it for a spin ran awsome!! looks pretty good plastics kinda faded in spots but that doesnt bother me he said it had the biggest flywheel weight on it you can get what size is that exactly? he also said he was the second owner and it is a 2000/2001 what should i look up for parts if i need them a 2000 or 2001 or are they pretty much the same? the guy told me hes had it for 7 years and it has never been rebuilt not even a top end put in i was thinking about replacing the wheel bearings in it is that a good idea? do you think i should put a new top end in just in case? what should i do to it to keep it running without killing the bank but would be a smart idea to do since it hasnt really ever had anything done to it? it ran awsome!

hey guys that one sold way too fast so i found another one that is a 2000/2001 yz250 for $1000 and after talking to him he went down to $750 i took it for a spin ran awsome!! looks pretty good plastics kinda faded in spots but that doesnt bother me he said it had the biggest flywheel weight on it you can get what size is that exactly? he also said he was the second owner and it is a 2000/2001 what should i look up for parts if i need them a 2000 or 2001 or are they pretty much the same? the guy told me hes had it for 7 years and it has never been rebuilt not even a top end put in i was thinking about replacing the wheel bearings in it is that a good idea? do you think i should put a new top end in just in case? what should i do to it to keep it running without killing the bank but would be a smart idea to do since it hasnt really ever had anything done to it? it ran awsome!

7 years without a top end sounds pretty crazy, you should def consider rebuilding it over the winter. I'd still pick up the bike for that price as long as everything else seems to be in good shape. Tires, wheel bearings, seals all the simple stuff. When you got there, did he start it in front of you? Did it seem easy to kick over?

ya it kicked over very easy and ran very well i started it i wanted to feel the compression and see how easy it is to start. he didnt seem like he had ridden it in a while it kicked right over though and i got to take it for a spin in a corn field went up to 3rd gear ran real smooth. i got it home and took it off the trailer after buying it and it kindy roled a little harder than my old kdx 200 thinking maby the wheel bearings need to be replaced figured il do that change the oil flush out the cooland and all that. ive never had a liquid cooled dirt bike though its the same routine as if you were flushing out a car cooling system right? il prob put in a new top end as well should i swap out the crankshaft as and crankshaft bearings or should i just get the piston, rings, pin?