Fuel Screw tip

I had this same thing happen on an xr400. Had to remove carb and CAREFULLY drill into the brass with a smaller than the hole drill bit. I beleive I used a #80 bit. You can stick that same drill size thru the hole from inside the carb but be careful!

The best thing to do would be to take the carb off. May be a good time to change out the hot start and throttle cables. With the cab out I would disassemble it and give it a good cleaning.

Careful on the disassembly!!!

If you take the carb apart other than the float bowl or accelerator pump you cannot buy the gaskets necessary to put it back together.

Personally there is not that much need to disassemble these carbs. You can remove the float bowl and clean that out, then remove the main and pilot jets and be sure those are clean and that is all I would really do unless the bike is very old or beat to hell.

I have had good luck removing the carb and heating that area with a heat gun or hair dryer and if the tip of the needle is visable in the throat of the carb pushing on it with a wood dowel or 90 degree scribe.sometimes after heating it tapping it on an block of wood makes it fall out.cheers