Sign in to follow this  

RMZ 290 Problem

Racing a race then bike locked up. Bike wouldnt kick over or pop start, wheel locked completely up. Pushed it back to truck in Neutral, Neutral worked fine. Put it in my garage for the night. Tried to start it next day, then worked fine. Rode it around my house for a few mins. Later that day I went to a track, 2nd lap the bike did the exact same thing as before.

Then I took off the head cover, Cams and chain were fine. I had new valves and springs installed 10hrs before this incident happened. Didnt adjust valves since installation. Drained oil, no metal shavings, oil was like new. Put Marvel mystery oil in motor, still wouldnt kick over. Took the Crank plug out and turned the motor backwards, then tried kicking it. It was back to normal, but by the 6th kick, locked back up. Is it the automatic decompression in exhaust cam being held up? Is it the valve guide? I ruled out the tranny and clutch. Crank bearings? Please help:crazy:

Sounds like the piston is siezing. How old is your 290 kit?

NO!!!! It's the rod bearing.... i'll bet my lunch money on it:banana:

Me too, lower rod bearing, frees up when cool and seizes when hot.

check to see if a clutch plate broke and is inside trans. Had this happen to me once. If not it is probably the lower rod bearing.