Sign in to follow this  

Break in methods

A whike ago there was a thread about engine break in and someone posted a website all about it. The site had pictures of his pistons and picture of others pistons etc. I searched and searched on TT and on google and nothing. can someone help me?! 👍:bonk:

Everyone has their own opinion on what method is the "best" way to break in an engine. It's like beating a dead horse.

Manufacturers recommend running the engine at idle only for the first heat cycle (20 mins or so) and letting it cool down completely. Then the next 3-4 hours should be very gentle with the throttle, and then then ext 4 or so should be moderate, then after that you should be good to run.

I figure the manufacturers built the engine, they would know how to run it in 👍

Manufacturers recommend running the engine at idle only for the first heat cycle (20 mins or so) and letting it cool down completely. Then the next 3-4 hours should be very gentle with the throttle, and then then ext 4 or so should be moderate, then after that you should be good to run.

1. Start the engine and let it idle until it is thoroughly warmed up.

2. Ride the motorcycle for about 20 minutes within 1/2 throttle opening.

3. Stop and let engine cool completely. Be sure to check the tightness of nuts and bolts, oil leakage, and any irregularities.

4. Start the engine and ride the motorcycle for about 40 minutes within 3/4 throttle opening.

5. Stop and let the engine cool completely. Be sure to check the tightness of nuts and bolts, oil leakage, and any irregularities, especially, each cable elongation, brake play, chain slack and spoke tightness.

6. Change the engine oil, oil filter, and front fork/rear shock absorber oil to the new one.

7. After break-in procedure has been properly carried out, the motorcycle is read for regular operation. Using the proper riding skills and techniques and avoiding recklessly high engine speeds will keep the engine trouble free.

Word for word from my Kx450 manual so you can all enjoy the poor grammar.

Correct, that sounds about like what the mfg. recommends.

But then they go on to tell you to replace pistons around every 5 hours, cylinders every 10 or so, etc.

They're just covering their *ss with these numbers.