Sign in to follow this  

Need info on 01 CR125

Hi all. Pretty new here to TT. I reciently got a 1985 yz250 👍 as part of a sale for my jeep. Now Im getting back into riding and am thinking that a 250 2t is too big to just jump back into it after 12 years of not riding. So plan to keep the 250 and pick up a 125 2t for cheap. Found a Cr125 on CL but know nothing about them. have always liked huskys but never owned one. Last bike i rode was a kx85 and it was my cousins.

So now I really want to go get a bike by next friday/sat and need some info before I make my choice. What can you guys tell me about the cr125's? Are they good bikes or not so good bikes? How about maintenance alot a little? Anything I should look for? I did a search or 2 and found very little. So thats why I came here.

This is the listing from CL.

2001 Husqvarna CR 125. Good condition with multiple extras. Bike has Pro Circuit header and exhaust (race pipe and spark arrester included), Excel rims, Renthal chain and sprockets and Renthal handle bars. I also have a desert tank for it as well. The forks were recently rebulit. This bike was not raced. I only rode it on the track twice... then name and phone. He is only asking $900 Is it a good deal or what bike looks really clean from the pics. Plus its already green stickered for CA so that would be a plus to me. Even tho I should be leaving here in the next 9 months. Any way thanks for your help guys.

Seth

You should forward me the add and keep looking. I'll write a check for it this evening. Great little bikes that are bullet proof and way to much fun to ride.

Thanks Wallybean. Havent seen anything negative about them. Gonna see if he still has it and if so I will probably get it. When I get home next weekend. Hopefully he will hold it like many people will do for us military guys around here.

Ok guys. I am wondering if this will make a good woods bike. I will be transfering in june and will either be in VA:thumbsup:, WA,👍 or IL:thumbsdn:. Plus i like woods/trail riding as its what my family does most. and a little MX(2 maybe 3 times a year)

The 125 is the most solid bike in line. Trouble free with a good power spread for a 125. Will work great in the woods.....and will work even better with a 144 or 167 big bore kit. The '01's have the "modern" geometry also. 2000's and earlier have a bit of steering push that was fixed in '01.

Looks like a solid deal to me

i had a 01 cr125r and if you gear it down a bit, v force reed to help low end and a good tire it will do great in the trails. ive also owned yz125(not empressed) ktm 125sx a awesome bike top pic if money isnt a concern, first bike was a 100% stock husqvarna cr125 road it for 3 very very hard years with no work besides maintanace very solid bike and stock will run beside a built honda or yamaha

if all you wanna do is trail ride look into a crf230 or a wr250. both 4 stroke and will have smooth power and great fuel economy for long rides. plus no worry mixing fuel just gas and ride. hope this helps

:thumbsup:THanks guys. This is what I wanted to hear. I am going to call him today and see if he still has it. My have my wife go put a down payment on it till I get back. Hopefully this time next week I will be a husky owner.

well just talked to the guy. He sold it yesterday. At least I know if I see one to snag it up before someone else does. Thanks for your inputs guys.

My friend bought it for a buddy bike.

I have raced and ridden 125's for years and had never ridden a husky cr125.

The condition of the bike is this:

Back rotor is bent.

Clutch needs to be replaced

The bike was geared to go 140 mph

A compression test came out to 155 psi

has a 110 back tire makes it handle funny

all clickers on the suspension were as soft as possible.

Carb jetting is so far off it turns a plug black in no time.(this is why the seller sold the bike he had no clue of how to jet the bike. It had a unfired plug in it for the sale)

Dont know who was desert ridding the bike but they should not work on bikes at all

Over all condition of the bike is great for its age.

I first rode it this weekend at pole line road. My friends and I go there for the jumps but mostly ride track. The first time I rode it (which is pretty much how he bought it minus oil change,carb clean, a good power wash,correct air pressure and draining the badly mixed fuel).

It was not good. I could not even ride it.

After playing with jetting for hours, starting with the suspension clickers in the middle and a 50 tooth rear sprocket. The bike ran pretty good. The only thing was it seem to have problems with the front end washing out easier than other bikes.

By the end of the day my buddy was hitting stuff in 3rd gear 12 foot in the air and he is very careful when hitting jumps.

We did a lot of work on the bike to get it up to par.

The jetting was the most time. It runs pretty good. Has good top end but lacks down low.

He wants to goto a pwk 36mm.

Just saw the thread and thought you might want to hear about the bike.

One of the coolest looking bikes out there IMO

:thumbsup:Thanks for the update man and congrats. Glad your buddy picked it up other wise I probably would have. Do you guys know anyone in the SD area selling a 125 in good shape. Im gonna go look at a yz tomorrow and well see how that goes. I really have my eye on a 125sx :ride:but he wants more then what I want to spend. I supose I could splurge a little since I have the money...

He might sell it

But not for $900 after hours of clean up and set up to get correct

I personally pulled the carb about 8 times to get it jetted correctly and put tires levers and a rear sprocket

The bike was un ridable when bought it would just foul plugs

He really wants a crf250 and has a bunch of nice bikes

I'll ask him if you want?