Sign in to follow this  

Chin meet Leatt

Kind of a weird question, but does anyone have an issue with their chin hitting the leatt or a-stars neck brace before the helmet does when looking down? I just got my leatt (a steal on e-bay) and was testing it out with my helmet and new TLD CP-5955 chest protector and realized that when simulating a sudden movement forward, my chin and jaw were hitting the leatt, not the face guard on my helmet. I thought this may be the cp or that I had the leatt adjusted incorrectly, so I fiddled with various configurations and generally speaking had the same result. I am guessing that it is anatomical and just a result of my facial geometry. I have noticed that with most helmets, the lower edge of my jaw hangs out just a bit from under the face/jaw portion of my helmet. I know it cant be helmet fit as I have tried out several and have similar results. But before going to a plastic surgeon to arrange my face to fit my dirt bike gear, I thought I would see if anyone has a similar experience with the various neck braces and worked through it, or if it is just the way it is.

Thanks!

Never had the problem with the adventurr or allpinr stars bionic nut when I switched to the gpx I had problems like that.

It also rubs on my neck and after a long race I have a bloody ring around my neck. I have since switched back to the adveture leatte brace.

Same problem with chin here.

Have seen them give an explanation to the chin hitting the brace in forward flexion but not sure on their justification of it causing any injuries. A friend of mine bit through his tongue very badly from a chin brace impact.

http://www.leatt-brace.com/customer-support/faq/#128

Nexis brace open front is said to reduce this according to their wesite.

Obviously not the best explanation that they can give, but what are you gonna do right? I am concerned about breaking a tooth or worse biting off my tongue so I went out and bought a mouth piece. I went on my first ride with the Leatt yesterday and had a tough time getting used to it in the first hour or so of the ride. Most of the time though, I hardly noticed it was there. I think I may have the back piece too high as I did have some issues when I was riding through branches, ducking, and still trying to see dow the trail. At the end of the day though, it is the hyper-flextion (chin to chest) and compression injuries that have the greatest chance for catastrophic injury, so a chipped tooth or even a concussion is a good trade off. Gonna stick with it.

I don't wear that anynore ( a la Chad Reed)...I can't get comfortable at all with that!

On the down hills it push my helmet forward...and .....I can't ride as safe with that on....Meaning that I can't turn my neck and I don't have a good sight of the outcome...