Sign in to follow this  

Motion Pro timing gauge.. Help please :facepalm:

I finally got my motion pro timing gauge in the mail for my 03 YZ250. There are so many different sized adapters that came with the kit. Im not sure the ones that i need to set it up for my bike. Is there anyone else with this kit that can help me get it set up right.

👍

Here's how I use mine:

1) Remove the spark plug, and the ignition cover. If your rotor has TDC marks, set it at TDC.

2) Screw in the adaptor. Remove the knurled set-screw if required for rotation, then put it back in loosely. I use an O-ring and washer on my adaptor to allow it to be rotated a bit after it's fully seated for easier viewing, but you may not need that.

3) Screw the longest extension onto the dial indicator shaft, then screw on the small extension end.

4) Put the dial gauge/extension into the adaptor hole, and lower it down slowly until you see needle movement. Ideally I want to see the small total-turns indicator pointing to 3, and the large needle at 0. If you can do this, tighten the set screw and make fine zero adjustments by turning the entire dial with the large knurled ring. Rotate the crank back and forth a bit to make sure you're exactly at TDC before doing your final zeroing.

5) If you can't do this with the current extension, you'll have to try the other extensions individually and in combination; I had to add a small washer to the extension end as well. Once you have the right length, mark everything with a Sharpie for future reference.

6) Once you have the gauge zeroed at TDC, you can go ahead with the actual timing adjustment (rotate the crank backwards to the desired amount of mm BTDC, then align the rotor/stator firing marks). I use a magnifying glass dead on to the marks, but your eyes are probably better than mine and you may not need it. I also go back to TDC a few times during adjustment to make sure nothing has shifted and I'm still getting accurate readings.

Ray