Sign in to follow this  

YZ85 to CR250R?

I've been looking at a few bikes, upgrading from an 06' YZ85. I'm 16, 5ft 5" and about 55kg. The bikes a great size for me, but I'm just bored of the power and want more, I've only rode the bike 3 or 4 times and before it I had an XR80. I'm looking for either a 125 or a 250. I'm just thinking that the 125 might be too slow, and the 250 might be too big and heavy for me to throw around.

Thanks

i am 5'5 and ride a cr250r..my 14yr old rides a kx250... u will get used to it very quickly! I moved him from a 85 to a 250 and he loves it!

Ahh alright yeah I'll probably go with a 250. Theres a CR250R 93' model up for $1500 AUSD which seems alright. Apparently it hasn't had a rebuild in 2 years and it's been sitting there for a year so parts are getting stiff and clutch cable is getting bad. I don't know how to rebuild myself, I only know the basics (clean air filter, dump oil)

Go with the 250.You wont get bored with it.Ever.They scream and will scare you if your not ready to hold on.I'm 13 5'10 165ibs and i love my kx250, its practically brand new.I came from a drz125l that was modded.

You'll be a better rider on a 125, and you'll have more fun too. And trust you probably havn't even used an 85 to its full potential so a 125 would be plenty. They got quite a bit my friend.

Yeah thanks guys, I think the 250 is what I'll be aiming for, just need to look for the best offer as I'm buying used for around $1000-1500 which is around 90-99 models. Theres a YZ250 92' and a CR250 93' that I'll be looking at next week hopefully.

@Shawn1331

I would be a better rider on the 125, but I know I'd want more power and don't really intend on upgrading again. I don't race mx so for track racing it's not too much of a problem. I've ridden with my mates cr125 around a track and I was in front of him most of the time and he has more experience then me. And if power shifting through the gears on a bitumen road up to 6th gear top speed pinned isn't using the bike to it's full potential, I don't know what is haha.

Edited by Foleyy

At 5'5" 121lbs I would think something like a yz125 would be good.

250 is going to wear you out fast. 125 based on your weight will be plenty fast and easier for you to throw around instead of you being thown around, also alot cheaper so you can buy a newer less clapped out bike. An early 90's 250 will probably have worn bearings (swing arm, linkage,steering and wheel). a 2002 ish 125 will be in better shape for the same money and will need less replaced. This is all speculation and your finds may be different, but as I've noticed around here on cl, this is usually the case.

Yeah well I live in Australia, SA and the 125's seem to be around the same price as the 250's. I've seen a YZ125 87' for $1,400. KTM 98' 125SX for $1,750. I know what you mean by the 250 throwing me around, the 85 was hard to handle my first ride, but once I got used to it I was fine. I'll just look for the best buy I guess.

Anyone tell me how a 92' YZ250 ($1000) compares to a 93' CR250R ($1500)?

http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-motorbikes-motorcycles-scooters-motorbikes-motorcycles-FOR-QUICK-SALE-yz-250-and-riding-gear-W0QQAdIdZ320159690

Yeah I will, just wondering if there's any big changes or a known problem that occurs a lot in either of those models. I don't really like the purple, magenta sort of fairings on the YZ250 so that will probably sway me over to the CR250, I'll have to have a good look at both of them.

Yeah thanks guys, I think the 250 is what I'll be aiming for, just need to look for the best offer as I'm buying used for around $1000-1500 which is around 90-99 models. Theres a YZ250 92' and a CR250 93' that I'll be looking at next week hopefully.

@Shawn1331

I would be a better rider on the 125, but I know I'd want more power and don't really intend on upgrading again. I don't race mx so for track racing it's not too much of a problem. I've ridden with my mates cr125 around a track and I was in front of him most of the time and he has more experience then me. And if power shifting through the gears on a bitumen road up to 6th gear top speed pinned isn't using the bike to it's full potential, I don't know what is haha.

Believe it or not thats far from using the power in a 125. Going down a rode is far from it, and actually 85's 125's and 250's all wind out within 5-10 mph of each other. My 85 will do about 110 kmh. Or 65 mhp. A 250 will do stock probably 75 mph and a 125 lets say 70.

To use a bike to its full potenial you have to be keeping it in the band while doing hair pin turns whoops jumps tight trails. Even the best riders can't do that all the time. Alot of guys on this site will tell you they don't really need the power of a 250 but their too heavy for a 125.

Not trying to put you down but your not that experienced on a 2 stroke at all. You rode an 85 3 times. And a 125 once. You'll be very tentative on a 250 and you might never ride again if you have a bad expierence.

Also a 250 makes you mind of lazy if your not good enough to ride a 125. It's kind of like a 4 stroke mx bike where its sit and go. You won't be leaning or clutching you'll just leave it in 3rd and go around the track.

Yeah fair enough mate, I realize I'm not very experience on bikes, but I can say I've been told I'm a great rider and when I was 3 I was on a honda 50. I guess I just sort of lost interest, then gained it again, lost interest, and now gained it again. What I meant by that is I can control the power of an 85, I'd much rather a faster bike like a 250. I don't race motocross, if I were to race motocross the 125 would be perfect. But I want a 250 because I won't ever want to upgrade from it. If I got used to the power of an 85 within a couple of rides and wanted more power, I don't think I'd be too scared to jump from an 85 to a 250. When I rode the bike It was up 1km long dirt road, then onto a bitumen road for about 2km, then back. I was flat on the throttle even on the bitumen, front end would go up through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and even 4th so. I'm not trying to talk myself, because I know I'm not an amazing mx rider, in fact I've only been around a track once. I'm just saying I'm confident enough to go straight for a 250, I'm confident I could handle it. Height difference between a 125 and 250 is 1inch I'm pretty sure, and only a few kgs more? I'm still contemplating on what to get (125 or 250) but this 250 looks like the bike for me, I'll see what happens tomorrow when I look at it.

Just about that last bit you said about it kinda being a 4 stroke mx bike. Do you mean that in saying I won't be revving it out through the powerband?

Edited by Foleyy

a 93 cr250 shouldnt be 1500? i dont know all those bikes seem expensive because my friend has gotten 99 250s for 1000