Sign in to follow this  

2008 KTM 450 EXC-R vs 2009 KTM 400 XC-W

2008 KTM 450 EXC-R

1750 Miles - Used 3 seasons NJ AMA events.

Jet kit, De-smogged, Skid-plates, Brush-guards, Radiator fan, Rekluse clutch, New dual-sport tires, Overflow catch, plus more I can't remember.

Looks in great condition, asking $4500.

----

2009 KTM 400 XC-W

862 Miles - Lightly used.

Endure Engineering light kits, Scotts steering stabilizer bracket but has no stabilizer, JD Jet Kit, and I forget the rest.

Asking $4900

---

In terms of add-ons, the major difference is the Rekluse Clutch, other than that everything else is quite minor. Both bikes are in good cosmetic condition and seemed to have been meticulously maintained.

---

In choosing between these two bikes, my main questions are:

1. The reliability of the 08 series, heard they had a lot of problems, not to think the 09 series would be any better.

2. I am a short rider 5' 7" and want to make sure I can have full control of the bike, especially in hairy situations.

3. I need a bike that can make it both down the main roads and also in the trails. I don't expect to go traveling 300 miles on the highways, but I will definitely travel down the road from time to time and don't want a bike that will rev out at 50mph.

4. Since this would be my 2nd KTM, I only have experience on a KTM 2002 300 EXC, which I should have never sold, I am now quite sure how these bikes handle. I have ridden my fair share of Honda/Yama and I know how their MX 450f's run. They are definitely too jumpy and would not be ideal for my riding style, would prefer a KTM that does not resemble those bikes..

---

Lastly, these are not my only resorts, I would be willing to try any style, though these are in the price range and readily available. Since I just came from a 2 stroke, I would also much rather continue with my desire to ride a 4 stroke.

Any advice would be wonderfully appreciated.

Thanks, so much, glad I found these forums!

If it was me I'd go with the 400. Seems everyone who has one has nothing but good things to say. From what I've heard the 400's didn't have any of the oil transfer issues that the 08 and some 09 450's and 530's had.

If you need a plate and can't put one on the 400 I guess that's another story.

The owner of the 400 xc-w says it is street legal.

I guess he had it converted to it should be alright?

I can get the 450 tomorrow morning, or it might be gone this weekend, or else I wait till the end of the week and get to see the 400 xc-w when the owner gets off vacation.

I guess I just need to be more patient!

Its hard lol!

It's mentioned in this thread that plating a bike in NJ could be a little tricky if it's not straight up street legal. You may want to do some home work on that one or get the EXC and not have to worry.