Sign in to follow this  

Hmmm...KTM 200xcw or 150xc???

Hey Guys!

Planning on getting a new 2012, but torn between the 200 xcw or the 150 xc. I am probably average build of 175lbs. & 5'11" without gear and strictly ride trails. Nothing to serious!! I realize that the 200 & 150 are the same weight & size, but do they handle the same? Is the suspension the same? I would think the 200 would be better for me, but i hear the 150 is just soooo damn fun!!! But if they have the same frame, weight & size, I imagine they will ride the same, with just a little more pull with the 200. Anyone ride both of these bike for a comparison? Fill me in on these questions. Thanks!

Or..

I saw a nice 2008 144SX for half the price????

Your going to be a little to heavy for the 150 IMO, Id say max 150 and lower for the 150 even in non race situations its going to be a big load on a 150. The 200s the bike for you @ your weight and there is very little difference other than more power and tq

Hey Guys!

Planning on getting a new 2012, but torn between the 200 xcw or the 150 xc. I am probably average build of 175lbs. & 5'11" without gear and strictly ride trails. Nothing to serious!! I realize that the 200 & 150 are the same weight & size, but do they handle the same? Is the suspension the same? I would think the 200 would be better for me, but i hear the 150 is just soooo damn fun!!! But if they have the same frame, weight & size, I imagine they will ride the same, with just a little more pull with the 200. Anyone ride both of these bike for a comparison? Fill me in on these questions. Thanks!

Or..

the 200 is great,never rode the 150 but DB claims it has the low end of the 200 with more on top

The 150 is GREAT! Can't comment on current year, but have a decent amount of time on both for the '10 year. So you can have an idea where I'm coming from i like XC-Ws but wouldn't purchase one... No matter what size, to me there is an element of "vagueness" that creeps in when I push myself on them, the XCs on the otherhand offers a little less comfort and ease in the really slow, really nasty. That's just my "feeling" and I happen to prefer a bike that gives me the sense it can take way more than I can dish out, so I prefer the XC in general.

If you want to go hard on either of them, you have to be on it, No "I'm to lazy to shift" or "I'm to tired to gas it now, I'll just hope". Both take alot more advanced reaction to obstacles than a 250 or 300. Since I ride mainly a 250, I felt both had very little on the bottom, the 150 close to zippo. The remarkable thing is for us average clowns (me) it doesn't make any difference in overall speed. Yes you have to keep it on the pipe on technical hill climbs but the cool thing is they both help you be aggressive. Up hill Switchbacks are awesome on both. On the bigger bikes you let off, then start this dance with traction, low end power delivery and your choice of turning method. On both the 150 and 200 you just nail it and turn, the 150 shines here, it seems to beg... "Just wring me out, I'll turn for you."

I only found ONE area where the 150 suffers, and that is on relatively high speed single track that has a splattering of 2' + high logs. The 150 is busy on the gears and very exacting on what gear you are in. Shift down 3 or four times under hard braking and you must get the gear right! The 200 less-so.

The 150 gets a bad rap for technical stuff, but it's solely a rider issue. Most of us look for the magical mild bottom that will ease us through whatever nasty we are facing, well the 150 doesn't have a bottomend BUT it really really works well in the bottom of the powerband in that stuff, it just takes a little "shift" in thinking.

Overall the 150XC is bar non, the most exhilarating bike in technical singletrack i have ever riden, the 200 XC-W left me with a "blah, I'd rather have my 250" feeling. Those are my opinions after riding both extensively in'10 trying to decide on a new ride.

For the record, I went with the 250 solely because not all riding is racing and in the areas I ride the 250 gives me much more flexibility with riding partners etc (let's face it some rides are more leasuraly than others!)

• Like 1

I ride an 07 200 XC-w and came off of a YZ250.

The 200 is THE EASIEST bike to ride in the nasty stuff, bar none. It has insanely tractable power, and will grunt along or haul balls wide open. You tell it what to do, and it does it.

From what I understand the 150 is more like a 125, needs to be held wide open. But if you are aggressive it will reward you.

I'm not aggressive, so the 200 was the bike for me.

• Like 1

Hey Guys!

Or..

I've been racing a 2008 144 SX for the 2010 and 2011 season. I just installed a 200 engine. The 144 is more than enough to move you around. The 08 144 comes with the 2k1 stator that spins up nice and fast but for a lot of tight riding you are better off with a heavier flywheel for less stalling. Where I see the 200 having and edge on the 144/150 is hill climbs.

With the ease of swapping an engine I would say why not get the 144? With the money you save you could buy a 200 engine or the whole bike.

I am 6 foot at 185 without gear and even a 125 moves me around just fine.

Joe........

6c252bcd-b92a-40e3-a9fa-706723fdf254.jpg

Not sure if this applies exactly as I'm new to KTM and have a '12 250 XC but I was told by several people that the suspensions between the 250XC and 250 XC-W are NOT the same. The XC-W is more plush---more of an enduro/trail riding set-up as opposed to the XC's hare-scramble set-up.

Not sure if this applies exactly as I'm new to KTM and have a '12 250 XC but I was told by several people that the suspensions between the 250XC and 250 XC-W are NOT the same. The XC-W is more plush---more of an enduro/trail riding set-up as opposed to the XC's hare-scramble set-up.

you are right, the susp is NOT the same. The 200W has the open chamber forks and is valved softer for offroad work. Both susp can be made to work quite well, however.

The trannies are different, internal is similar to 4th with 5th and 6th being taller on the 200W. the 200 should run taller sprockets too.

Both are very fun to ride, I am sure. The only place I would find the 150 frustrating is on technical climbs. If I weighed less I would consider the 150, but even my riding style doesn't suit it.

you are right, the susp is NOT the same. The 200W has the open chamber forks and is valved softer for offroad work. Both susp can be made to work quite well, however.

The trannies are different, internal is similar to 4th with 5th and 6th being taller on the 200W. the 200 should run taller sprockets too.

Both are very fun to ride, I am sure. The only place I would find the 150 frustrating is on technical climbs. If I weighed less I would consider the 150, but even my riding style doesn't suit it.

For sure, if people are all into just trail riding wanting a nice plush ride that can do all well I say go with the W. However, if you want to get aggressive hit some jumps throw in some track don't mind working it a bit then the XC or SX is better. There ain't a damn bit wrong with wanting to be lazy with it just be honest with what you want from the bike up front and you will be a lot better off purchasing the right bike in the first place. Heck the older I get the more I think that 450 is the ticket, I can park it in 3rd and finish the race;)

Joe........

IMG_1321.JPG

• Like 1

Where are the trees!!!!! lol

C'mon Joe, we can be aggressive with the W too. Either like to have their necks rung. 👍 hehe

Thanks for the great info guys! I think I am heading toward the 200 W as I am a trail rider, but I like to rip with some WFO.. My thought is..the 150 does sound fun and if the 200 is a bit lazy and needs to be woken up, I'll do some head work or so

the 200 will scream too, but has more bottom end for trail riding

does the 08+ 144/150 share the bigger frame the 200/250/300's use? I never upgraded my 06 200 because I dont like how the 08+ big frame feels

The 125, 144/150, & 200's all have the same frame. 250 and 300's had a different frame. Now the frames have changed over the years. The 07 SX models like 125 and 144 have the 08, 09, & 10 frame.

Joe.......

I dont like the 08+ 200 frames at all, the newer 200's feel as big as a 2007 250xc does

I was not sure if they all shared the same frame size from 08 on

The bike size never has bothered me but I am 6 foot.

Per the specs they are real close:

2005 200

wheel base 58.84 in

Seat Height 36.42

2008 200

wheel base 58.1 in

Seat Height 36.42 in

they are all tall, I can barely get on my 06, the fender is all tore up from my boots, and my hip hurts by the end of the day. the seat hight did not change, I was not referring to that.

the newer 200 feels huge compared to the pre 08 frames, wider between the legs and knees? Not sure, I've never measured them, but they feel really big

going from my 08 onto my 06, my 06 feels like a mountain bicycle

I ride a 200 (xc) and my usual riding partner rides a 150xc. The 200 has a lot more bottom end and similar top end. The 150 is definitely more "flickable" just like a 200 is more so than a 300. I weigh 215 and the 150 hauls me around just fine, it's just more work to get it up hills and you have to keep the rev's up. You can't go wrong either way.

For your riding I'd vote for the 200 xc-w, I have an 09 and it is a great trail and desert bike. The power is tuneable into whatever you want. From linear to not much of a hit to a hard hitting mx type motor.

I also have a 09 150sx that is the funnest bike I have ever owned. This summer my oldest kid moved to big bikes it is now his and I moved to a 12 250sx. I put a 200 sx motor into the 150 this spring, and just yesterday put the 150 back in. After riding it around I would so love to have another one. Not sure if I'd give up the 250 for it but is an absolute blast to ride.