Sign in to follow this  

Purple power

Always used Simple Green. AMAZING stuff. Store was out so grabbed Purple Power in it's place. Haven't used yet. Friend warned me DO NOT use on aluminum or near bearings(wheel, stem, linkage etc). Anyone have experience with Purple Power ? Good or bad? Mix Simple Green half and half with water and bike looks like the day I bought it 2yrs later. Thanks.

+1 on the Shout.

Purple Power will wreck your aluminum and anodized finishes.

The question is, is there any reason I should NOT use it? CRF Aluminum frame, bearings etc. I use Simple Green on bike from top to bottom. Any reason to NOT use Purple Power? Any bad experiences? Thanks.

Purple Power will wreck your aluminum and anodized finishes.

Not the purple stuff question again! I use it on my chain only and rinse off fairly quick. Another trick i do with simple green is mix it in a 2 gallon pressure sprayer along with a cup of cheap laundry detergent, it saves on your fingers especially when your cleaning multiple bikes..

That purple power stuff is brutal on aluminum. It cuts grease great, but on aluminum, it literall will disolve it if left on anywhere. Ive seen places where the stuff didnt get rinsed off completely between the frame rail and tank or something and the aluminum has "rusted" away and left a pretty significant gouge. Dawn dishing washing liquid works great for cutting grease and doesnt attack the aluminum.

One way to keep a new bike looking new is to slather it in Mop-n-glo after its been detailed to the inth degree. Not only will the plastic shine like new, nothing will stick and washing it is a spray away affair.

If you follow the instructions and dilute it to the proper strength it works good. At full strenght It's to strong for the aluminum. Full strength is good for cleaning the chain.

Doesn't work anywhere near as well as Simple Green in my opinion, but it is still good enough to clean.

Found it to be quite the opposite. I know several car shops that won't even touch P.P. due to it's concentration..

I've used purple power, simple green, aluminum cleaner, but the best stuff for cleaning grease was some industrial stuff (can't remember the name) my friend uses when they clean all the oil n crud off the tractors who works for the city. They get it in a great big container and you literally just spray it on and the oil drips off. It puts Purple Power and Simple Green to shame, cause they used to use Simple Green and was able to get this new stuff for close to 25% cheaper and worked 10x's as good.

Whatever you use don't let it dry wet the surface before you spray and don't have the bike in direct sunshine. P.P. will make the frame look like poo if you don't scrub it off within 30 seconds..

Always used Simple Green. AMAZING stuff. Store was out so grabbed Purple Power in it's place. Haven't used yet. Friend warned me DO NOT use on aluminum or near bearings(wheel, stem, linkage etc). Anyone have experience with Purple Power ? Good or bad? Mix Simple Green half and half with water and bike looks like the day I bought it 2yrs later. Thanks.

dont use it, its extremely alkaline and will pit and severely oxidize your cases and frame. DONT USE IT!!!

Use it all the time its an excellent bike cleaner. I have it in 5 gal buckets and use it barely dilluted. Never have had an issue with discoloring plastic or any metal. I don't leave it sit long on the bike though. I use it mainly cause its free but I love the stuff. I've even used it to clean tragic oil/atf messes from auto paints....still no problem.

Whatever you use don't let it dry wet the surface before you spray and don't have the bike in direct sunshine. P.P. will make the frame look like poo if you don't scrub it off within 30 seconds..

used it for years. Get a weed sprayer to spray it evenly on the bike. But like said, DONT let it dry on the metals. works great to remove the grim and sludge left from mud on the plastics.

No issues here either, use a garden sprayer and always wet your bike before appying, then immediately rinse thoroughly.

i used it but i think it takes the fresh look away from your bike 👍

Yep, and the people that like it don't realize how crappy their bikes look.

Yep, and the people that like it don't realize how crappy their bikes look.

Thats funny my bike shines like new everytime I clean it....what a moron I must be 👍