Sign in to follow this  

09 KTM 200 XC-W compared to Husky WR 144/150

I'm curious if anyone has experience with both bikes. I'm most interested in a strong low end grunt in a light weight nimble package. I'm not too concerned with a screaming top end.

I'm 145lbs and 5'7" coming from a mountain bike background. Most comfortable on something light and not too tall.

The only 2 stroke I've ridden/had in the past is a KDX 220. I'm currently riding an 08 Husqvarna TXC 250 4t. I like how the 4t rides but am looking for something in a lighter weight package.

The 200 is going to have a good bit more low end but after coming off a 4t your likely going to want it. I would say if not for the 4t at 145 you would be happy with the WR150. Hard ? here be nice if you could ride both. Im 170 and ride/race a 200exc @ A level HS and enduros. The 125/150 are a blast to ride but the 200 just has more bottem @ the same weight.

I race an '11 Husky TE310 which, as you might know, is a bored and stroked version of the 250 x-lite motor with about 4 HP more and lots more low end torque. I finally moved on to a '12 KTM 250XC because the TE was just too soft on power and constantly having to clutch it annoyed me after coming off of a 450. Plus, I've never when one to ride the rev-limiter all day which the 310 wanted.

So, I say that to say, you might already be used to heavy clutch lever use so the 150 2t might seems natural for you. A 200 would be I really nice step up though and, if you're like me and several others I've talked to, going with the KTM instead of the Husky will mean bye-bye hitting neutral instead of second gear on upshifts, a real kick starter as opposed to that stubby little thing on the Husky 2 strokes, and an overall more refined bike and tuneable motor. You might also what to research actual pricing on parts for the Husky. Last time I was in the local shop, they told me I could not buy just the rings for my 310--the rings only come as part of a complete piston kit package. And when I lost the bolt out of the clutch lever after a crash, I couldn't order just the bolt--I had to get the whole $36 clutch lever assembly to get the bolt. RIP OFF.

In other words, I'd go with the KTM 200. The 150 will be a bit like the 250 4t with less grunt which could be very frustrating because "it just won't go" when you roll on the throttle. A 250 2t would be a handful but only at first because the KTM 250 2ts are very tuneable on power. A 300 2t would likely be too much coming off of a TXC250 unless you're already pretty fast/experienced.

Thanks for the replys.

KTM 200 is definitely a bike I'm looking at. However, I'm afraid that it'll hit too hard compared to the 2 stroke I'm used to (the KDX) and of course, my TXC.

With the KTM 200 with more low end than the WR150, it seems like it'd be better for me. From what I'm reading, the KTM 200 is just as light as the WR or even lighter. Since I'm reading up on a husqvarna forums all the time, I constantly hear that it feels heavier compared to the Husky and that it can't turn. I'm curious to hear what people on the KTM side feel about it?

The KTM can be tuned from mild to wild very easily by making powervalve and jetting adjustments. There is a ton of info in this forum about both. Any turning issues(if any) can be fixed through proper suspension set up.

I agree.

I never have understood a turning issue with a dirt bike outside of susp issues. two wheels, lean, turn the bars, spin the rear, many different ways to make it turn.

I came from mtn bikes myself, riding them for many years prior to getting into the dirty bike thing. I started out on a 250F, as you. The 200 can easily be made to have a nice smooth power delivery, so don't worry about it hitting too hard.

Based on your post, a 200 fits you perfectly. I like to ride mine like a mtn bike, using the throttle to blip along keeping my momentum, pulling as high a gear as I can, usually 4th-5th.

Enough low end to tackle anything and it can be set up to provide a good low end grunt with very good mid pull. I am not a revver and like the 200 to perform similar to a less powerful 250. Slightly slower revving with great bottom to mid pull. Nice thing is, if I am in the mood, or riding some faster double track type stuff where I can wring it out, a few easy changes gets me back to a 125 style ripper.

and...it weighs not much more than the 150, making it very nimble on the trail.

209 lbs is pretty dern close on weight.

BTW, I find it quite adequate and I have 65 lbs on ya. LOL 👍

If your not interested in top end scream the 200 is the best option for a light weight package. The 125, 144, 150 want to scream in the high RPMs. If the 200 is not enough low end grunt then a 250 is the way to go. Where you stop is up to you. You want the king of low end grunt 2 stroke power get a 380;) Too bad KTM gave up on them after 2002.

Joe.........

If you are buying new, I think the Husky's are a fair amount cheaper. I also read they are selling the 2012 WR125 with a free 144 kit. Hard to pass on that price point if you are just trail riding. The KTM will be a bit more current in technology. I know Dick Burleson rides a decked out KTM 150 SX as his do everything bike, and he could ride anything. The last Dirt Bike magazine had a blurb on that. My mtn. bike buddies that have crossed over really like the light weight and lack of engine compression of the 2-strokes.

I'm stuck once again.. I've found great deals on both and need to pull the trigger soon. I'm looking for the the bike that is lighter, or at least rides lighter.. and has decent low end grunt.

'10 Husqvarna WR150 w/ FMF Spark Arrestor $5000

'10 KTM200 XCW w/ FMF Spark Arrestor, Map switch for $4500

Both look to be in great condition with about 20-30 hours.

I love my 200 and wouldn't trade it for a brand new Husqvarna 150. There is a reason that any poker run or off road event you go to around here there is a sea of orange. I guess maybe I'm a little biased,but the $500 difference would be enough to make up my mind.

Looks like you are going to spend some serious money. How about just buying a used 125 for cheap (1500 or so), and see if you like ripping on a small bore? If you don't you can sell it for what you paid for it. I'm 49, and I have several bikes for racing and trail riding, but when it comes to fun, I love riding my 125!

If you are buying new, I think the Husky's are a fair amount cheaper. I also read they are selling the 2012 WR125 with a free 144 kit. Hard to pass on that price point if you are just trail riding. The KTM will be a bit more current in technology. I know Dick Burleson rides a decked out KTM 150 SX as his do everything bike, and he could ride anything. The last Dirt Bike magazine had a blurb on that. My mtn. bike buddies that have crossed over really like the light weight and lack of engine compression of the 2-strokes.

DBs a small guy though (nothing against smaller guys) And also keeps more momentum than most us mortals.👍:ride:

The only 2 stroke I've ridden/had in the past is a KDX 220. I'm currently riding an 08 Husqvarna TXC 250 4t. I like how the 4t rides but am looking for something in a lighter weight package.

I'm 6' 145 and came from the exact same background. I had a KDX200 (that thing ripped!) and went to a '07 XC-W 200 and I LOVE it! There is no bike out there I would rather have. Do it my friend, you will not be disappointed!

Looks like you are going to spend some serious money. How about just buying a used 125 for cheap (1500 or so), and see if you like ripping on a small bore? If you don't you can sell it for what you paid for it. I'm 49, and I have several bikes for racing and trail riding, but when it comes to fun, I love riding my 125!

That's exactly what I did. 51 yrs old. I love my 125SX. Got it cheap as hell! Yeah me! 👍

For this particular deal, between the 150 or the 200, I'd get the 150. If you don't like it, sell it. No big deal.

• Like 1

If you are considering the buy and sell if you don't like it route,I think the numbers would suggest buying the KTM. It's the cheaper of the two bikes that you have found,and is probably worth the most. I hoped to have numbers to back up that claim,but NADA nor KBB seemed to list the 150,only the WR125. Compared with that the KTM books high retail for around $700 more.

The 200 is quite versatile and forgiving. I have not found it lacking in low end grunt at all. I did a flywheel weight to further smooth the power delivery and ake it a bit more stall proof. Not sure it was required.

👍

I love my 300XC, but have A TON of fun on my YZ125 that I bought for a song and have massaged into a great trail bike.