Sign in to follow this  

Stock fender (license plate frame) sucks...what to do?

I have an ’11 DRZ400S and I just can’t get over the BIG factory plate frame/fender setup. It’s kills me 👍

What are people doing to these things? I crossed over the other day from a sportbike and I am lost. With my sportbike it was easy, just buy a "fender eliminator" kit and you’re done. I have seen some lame homemade jobs on these DRZs and I’m not really into that.

I am looking for a clean (as legal looking as possible) frame with lights. Preferably of very good quality.

Any options? Any photos?

Thanks for all the help!

If you are doing lots a off road having that big rear guard can be useful...

On my SM I did the Edge tailight/rear fender removal thing and with the off road "E" just left the rear end stock..

Hmm...

I think the plate might be angled too far upwards (facing the sky). Great for being spotted from the air by our notorious Sea-to-Sky choppers but not so good if they are in a car behind me 👍

Here's a few pics of mine. I have some homemade brackets for the turn signals. I had some cheap bikemaster turn signals mounted (looked great but didnt last long) went back to the stockers. This should give you an idea of the angle of the plate though.

edge2001.jpg

edge2003.jpg

Here's what i have done, i have used the Edge LED tail light and a pair of small flexible indicators. Indicators a nicely kept inboard and are quite bright.[email="105_0995.jpg"]105_0995.jpg[/email] [email="105_0996-1.jpg"]105_0996-1.jpg[/email]

6027122760_c6e4910c42_b.jpg

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/53187083@N04/6027122760/

Here's mine, I trimmed a $30 tusk tail light.

As you can see, the Edge LED unit is VERY popular. But it is pricey.

I am converting my 08 S to this UFO Enduro (made in Italy) unit (regular tungsten bulb) and making mounts for the T/S stalks from a piece of aluminum:

http://www.motostrano.com/uforefeex.html

Here's a few pics of mine. I have some homemade brackets for the turn signals. I had some cheap bikemaster turn signals mounted (looked great but didnt last long) went back to the stockers. This should give you an idea of the angle of the plate though.

edge2001.jpg

edge2003.jpg

where are you in nc? i have the same talilight but don't like my turn signal mount solution, would love to check yours out. i'm in raleigh.

where are you in nc? i have the same talilight but don't like my turn signal mount solution, would love to check yours out. i'm in raleigh.

If you already have the DRC, I highly suggest going with the 12 o clock labs upgraded processor board. I recently installed it and am loving it so far.

If you already have the DRC, I highly suggest going with the 12 o clock labs upgraded processor board. I recently installed it and am loving it so far.

can you elaborate or provide a link? pardon my ignorance but what does a processor board have to do with a brake light?

edit: never mind i found it. had no idea it could do that stuff, pretty neat. looks like there's an edge and an edge2, not sure if they're compatible or which one i have.

I moved the license plate up right under the tail light, eliminate that extender between the light and the fender and chopped off the part below the license plate. When the stock tail light and turn signals get busted, they'll get replaced with something sleeker and it will be muy bueno. Was going to post photos, but couldn't figure out how:banghead: Even now, it looks tons better than that stock ovipositor-looking thing.

• Like 1

can you elaborate or provide a link? pardon my ignorance but what does a processor board have to do with a brake light?

edit: never mind i found it. had no idea it could do that stuff, pretty neat. looks like there's an edge and an edge2, not sure if they're compatible or which one i have.

Not sure about compatibility, but my suggestion would be to contact 12 oclock labs. The first board i received had the right turn signal not working. Contacted Brooks from the number on the 12 oclock website and he was more than happy to help me. Had a replacement board shipped to me in under 48 hours. Good company to work with.

naked, posting pics is easy just sign up with a free site such as Photobucket and upload them there and then link them here. Done.

So you modified your factory fender?

naked, posting pics is easy just sign up with a free site such as Photobucket and upload them there and then link them here. Done.

So you modified your factory fender?

Yep, just cleaned up what suzuki gave us to work with. May try photobucket tomorrow. The missus says it's time for bed, now 👍

Fenderbob3a.jpg

Fenderbob1a.jpg

Fenderbob2a.jpg

Eventually, tail lights like Craigo and Jtower's along with flush mount signals kinda like Fivewide's. Should've made a little metal bracket for the plate rather than punching new holes in it...maybe later when I swap the lights.

"Ovipositor-Looking Thing?"

Haven't heard that one since I had an entymology class back in the 1960s in college.