Sign in to follow this  

2009 crf450x

Im looking at buying a 2009 crf450x. I was just wondering if there was any problems that this model has. Does anyone that owns this bike have any complaints about it?

That sounds good to me! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what exhaust I should use? I am not really interested in a full system. I think that a slip on will be just fine.

That sounds good to me! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what exhaust I should use? I am not really interested in a full system. I think that a slip on will be just fine.

You don't want to add an exhaust to a stock bike; you must modify the exhaust, intake, and jetting at the same time.

Not changing the header will give slightly better throttel response and about 2hp. Putting on a full system will double that.

Oh ya I know that the intake and jetting have to be changed. I was just wondering about the exhaust. If you really think a full system will be better what do you think I should get? I do basically all of my riding on single track trails. I would also like to dual sport the bike as well just as an easier way to get to the mountain and every once in a while ride to work.

Oh ya I know that the intake and jetting have to be changed. I was just wondering about the exhaust. If you really think a full system will be better what do you think I should get? I do basically all of my riding on single track trails. I would also like to dual sport the bike as well just as an easier way to get to the mountain and every once in a while ride to work.

Yup, a full system is the way to go.

The hot ticket is the FMF Megabomb and any FMF or other slip on.

The next good choice is the Dr D full system.

One thing that I have always wondered is what is the difference between the megabomb and the powerbomb.

One thing that I have always wondered is what is the difference between the megabomb and the powerbomb.

The difference is the frequency width of the resonant chamber. The Megabomb has a wider resonance, making it cover a larger rpm range, but it's a pain to make.

Happy with FMF Powercore 4. Might do the full exhaust eventually, but with the airbox (top only) uncorked and properly jetted, it's responsive throughout the rpm range.

Louder than a Q4, but still comes in right at 96db with the stock header and "quiet insert."

No complaints, just keep the air filter clean, change the oil/filt/trans periodically and keep an eye on the valve clearance.

👍

If you can, find a copy of the August 2010 issue of Dirt Bike magazine. It had examples of CRF450X dyno curves for many of the major exhaust systems. I purchased the FMF Ti Powercore muffler with Ti Powerbomb header because it showed improvement across the entire tested rpm range (from 3500 - 10000 rpm) and "linearized" the power delivery (got rid of the dips in the curve). All systems showed gains in peak hp performance, but some actully lost hp at low rpm. They system you pick will have an effect the feel of the power delivery.👍:ride:

If you can, find a copy of the August 2010 issue of Dirt Bike magazine. It had examples of CRF450X dyno curves for many of the major exhaust systems. I purchased the FMF Ti Powercore muffler with Ti Powerbomb header because it showed improvement across the entire tested rpm range (from 3500 - 10000 rpm) and "linearized" the power delivery (got rid of the dips in the curve). All systems showed gains in peak hp performance, but some actully lost hp at low rpm. They system you pick will have an effect the feel of the power delivery.👍:ride:

Did you use the quiet core insert also? If not, how loud is it?

I'm using the insert that it came with. It has about a 1.45" dia opening with a spark arrestor. I'm running a Quietcore insert in my WR250F and it has about a 1.2" dia opening and no spark arrestor

The Powercore is definitely louder than stock. Not too bad at low rpm, but it's loud when you run the bike hard. I ride on OHV trails that are miles away from any houses. I wouldn't recommend the Powercore if you ride around neighbors.

The Quietcore is still louder than stock. That's the trade-off, noise for power.👍

I bought the 09 CRF450X in November of 09. It has handled everything I've taken it through in Moab and the rest of Utah. I put on a larger rear sprocket to handle the more technical sections in Moab, but I wish it had a 6th gear/higher top end. It could also use a larger gas tank. I've hit reserve on two rides, and now carry a 2 liter bottle of gas with me on longer rides. I'm in the process of making it street legal now. KTM has an advantage in all those areas, but still it has been a great bike.