Sign in to follow this  

exc250f vs exc250 vs wr250f

Hi there, looking for my first bike.

Started looking at the yamaha wr250f however i prefer the look of the KTM. After looking at service schedules i saw that the exc250-f requires a fair bit of tlc quit regularly including piston after 40 hours etc. this somewhat put me off so i started looking at the 2 stroke version although better still seems quite of often.

I can understand why KTM gets a bad rep for reliability as its prob more like people not taking care of the bike.

The WR250f looks more 'bullet proof' with longer times before service and for the most part it just to check for ware rather than automatically changing parts at set times.

I will be using the bike for greenlaning and will be my first bike. i just wondered what you guys thought. Also does the exc250 have a 2 stroke tank or do you have to mix it yourself every time. ?

Cheers

I f you are a new ride I think you would do good on the WR,I you have some exp want a light bike go with the 250 exc 2 stroke.I ride a 250 smoker and will tell you it is way better then my buddys wr as far as power and handeling hands down.

Hi there, looking for my first bike.

Started looking at the yamaha wr250f however i prefer the look of the KTM. After looking at service schedules i saw that the exc250-f requires a fair bit of tlc quit regularly including piston after 40 hours etc. this somewhat put me off so i started looking at the 2 stroke version although better still seems quite of often.

I can understand why KTM gets a bad rep for reliability as its prob more like people not taking care of the bike.

The WR250f looks more 'bullet proof' with longer times before service and for the most part it just to check for ware rather than automatically changing parts at set times.

I will be using the bike for greenlaning and will be my first bike. i just wondered what you guys thought. Also does the exc250 have a 2 stroke tank or do you have to mix it yourself every time. ?

Cheers

WR by far.

WR by far.

Any reasons?

Id actually prefer a lighter bike - while i don't have my own, the ones i have ridden that are lighter give me more confidence. although my questions are more round maintenance and costs.

as for the 250 smoker - does it have a 2stroke tank or do you have to pre mix yourself?

Any reasons?

Id actually prefer a lighter bike - while i don't have my own, the ones i have ridden that are lighter give me more confidence. although my questions are more round maintenance and costs.

as for the 250 smoker - does it have a 2stroke tank or do you have to pre mix yourself?

I think the KTM is a great bike, but I think for a first bike the WR makes a better choice & I agree with cat man's earlier comments. I like the the KTM for a more experienced rider who may be inclined to the 2-stroke philosopy/style. Most WRs are pretty solid machines and, depending on the type of riding you want to do, should give you a long growth path. HTH.