Sign in to follow this  

Gas mileage on a 2000 300 ktm tank

Hi I am going on a trip to Moab Utah and have no Idea how far I could go on a tank of fuel. I just rode a really tight Enduro and went 46 miles Mostly in first and second gear and still went 46 miles. I am hoping to at least get 60 mile a tank on the more wide open sand stone of Moab.👍

I say around 50/60 sould be a safe range. I would go 50 just to be safe if your not sure, I have a 03 200exc. All bikes are diff though een in the same model line so play it safe maby take some ext fuel..

jet it right and set the float level on the low side and it will do 60

I plan to gear it up from 13 front Sprocket 52 wheel sprocket. to 14 front 52 rear for higher speed less fuel per mile.

I plan to gear it up from 13 front Sprocket 52 wheel sprocket. to 14 front 52 rear for higher speed less fuel per mile.

You may want to keep lower gearing in the bike. It's desert but there are many rocky technical obstacles. It's not wide open desert, at least not much of it.

Jetted corretly for +/- 4,500ft-5,500ft, the newer 300's and 250's get around 30 miles per gallon.

I think Mike's advice "jet it right and set the float level on the low side " is pretty good. Keep in mind you normally run on the needle and not the main, so it is the needle that is the most important jetting to have correct for fuel mileage.

The low float setting avoids spillage out the vent drain tubes. You should be able to tip the bike over at extreme angles (45 degrees or so) without leaking fuel. Too low a float setting makes for weird jetting problems.

I'd sprocket for the highest top speed you plan to run on your trip. There is not a lot of spread on the 300 gearbox, so if you go high on speed gearing, you lose on the low end. Better is to look at the highest speed you plan to attain and sprocket for it. Even for my street driven 2-stroke I rarely find the need for more than 70mph, which gives up some low speed versatility. 60-65 mph is usually plenty and won't make much difference on fuelmileage if your jetting is on. Bring your jet kit if you want to be sure.

I do like the idea of a front sprocket change to increase versatility. I do this on my dual purpose KTM 125. Often drive an hour to the site on the 14T, then take 15 minutes to switch to a 12T to do a tough section of offroad. It is worth the effort.

You can easily get 60 miles. Fine tune the jetting and float level you will get more. I would think 80 miles is possible.

Joe............

Went riding with a guy on the same bike 3 weeks ago, he ran out of gas @ 89 miles on my odometer (1/2) mile from camp.