Sign in to follow this  

08 WR250F for a dual sport?

Hey all. Can anyone tell me how there WR250F ( 07 or newer) works on the street? I have a 2008 and I will be plating mine in January (once the new law goes into affect)

and was just wondering how it does on the street. I don't really plan on riding much on the pavement but was wanting to know if you are changing the gearing, ect...

Thanks.......👍

I've got a 2009 WR-250F that's been registered by me for the street here in Connecticut since November of 2009.

You may have already read my post replying to a similar question just a day or two ago on this forum.

But, I'll sum-up my opinion here, too.

Basically, the bike sucks on the street.

Period.

The gearing is much too low to use the bike as a street bike and to really expect it to run with modern traffic on anything but the tightest/slowest roads.

Sure, you can gear it up or just go running down the road at 60mph and 13,000rpm all day, but, I still get the feeling it's like using an F1 race car to pull stumps out of the ground - what's the point in messing-up a great dirt bike for street use.

Again, that's my opinion.

For merely riding from one trail to the next legally, that's just fine and dandy, and when I do that, I just putt along at 35-40mph for a short distance.

Once I reach the next trail, the bike instantly feels back in it's intended element where it is downright excellent.

I just picked up a 2007 wr250 and it is street legal here in Colorado. The stock gearing

13-50 is low for the street I went to a 14t front and it seems pretty good for riding to the trail in the hills. 1st gear is still low enough for tight rocky trails. top speed is about 70mph

pinned. cruising at 45 seems good but but going down the freeway would be a problem.

up here at 5000ft+ the power is lower ( 290 kit is on the way) but what feels weak on the road is perfect on the trails! the bike really needs a overdrive 6th gear.

the bike really needs a overdrive 6th gear.

i second that!! whilst riding down the hwy to go to my trails my bike could use a 6th gear! sitting on 100-120klm 👍 seems to rev its head off!!!!! for locals streets around town the bike is ok, but its full potential is unleashed offroad in tight trails :ride: