Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse clutch

Any advice on rekluse clutch. Do u want the core exp or the zstart pro. What is the diff. Anybody installed o 2011. Thanks:ride:

z-start pro is old technology.. you want teh exp2.0 or expcore2.0. i JUST installed the exp2.0 in my 08crf450 last week. Still dialing it in a bit and considering ordering the heavier engageement wedges. Go to the website for rekluse, lots of cool videos give a very good understanding of how they work, install, and setup. The exp2.0 is cheaper, and literally takes 10 minutes to instal . remove outer cover, remvoe pressure plate, take out a few fibers/metals, drop in the exp2.0 .. put back together.. done.

If your gonna abuse the clutch, and not ride in teh correct gear making the exp slip a bunch, you may want the $899 expCORE2.0 as it uses all teh plates and needs the bigger cover that comes with for better oiling. Basic exp2.0 you use the stock cover, and other clutch components, but you remove a few clutch plates to make room.

I have the exp 2.0 in my 08 450 too. Works great and easy to install and setup.

Any advice on rekluse clutch. Do u want the core exp or the zstart pro. What is the diff. Anybody installed o 2011. Thanks:ride:

I installed the latest Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 autoclutch on my 11 CRF450. Works fantastic. Easy to follow instructions and easy to change tuning options but I am running it as delievered. Works perfectly. No more stalling either. Riding a big 450F moto bike can now be as simple as brake and throttle or you can still clutch it if you want a little more snap out of a corner. Can even ride super tight trails. You can sometimes feels a little freewheeling into corners if you lock up the rear brake but generally just feels like a normal clutch 99% of the time. I went with the full system (inner clutch hub and pressure plate and cover) but you get the same effect with just the EXP unit. The full system comes with (6) clutch springs too so it actually just feels better at the lever (lower effort too). I am hooked on Core EXP's now...

11CRF450RSVEngine.jpg

Definitely one of the EXP 2.0 products.. 👍

Going the EXP 2.0 only give you the auto clutch (basic) but you are not able to adjust when it engages like for how long it slips or if it slips at all right when you get on the gas.

I have the CORE EXP 2.0 and love it. I've done 3 races with it. The first one I installed it the day before the race, didn't get time to practice not a good idea. Not that it's hard to install or adjust it or anything just takes a little while to get adjusted to and get the clutch adjusted to your riding style.

I own a pro and a core exp 2

so far I like the pro better, my core exp 2.0 dumps the clutch right before full lockup, instead of slipping smoothly all the way like the pro does

I own a pro and a core exp 2

so far I like the pro better, my core exp 2.0 dumps the clutch right before full lockup, instead of slipping smoothly all the way like the pro does

You definitely don't have something adjusted correctly...

My buddy with a KTM 530 has the Z-Pro and does not like it. IDK the tuning characteristics of the Pro, but I do know the ones of the EXP and know that you don't have something for sure adjusted right.

I've seen 4-5 installed and installed my own and tweaked the settings on it 4-5 times. Might have it out of the adjustment of 1 turn +0 to +3 clicks..

Mines butta smooth

You definitely don't have something adjusted correctly...

what adjustment would you be talking about? the engagement rpm is set right, and I like the slip amount, it just dumps it right at the end of the slip, instead of being smooth, I'm using half silver half red springs

these are not real rpm numbers, but they are the best I can do to explain

1000 is fully disengaged

2000 is fully engaged

mine slips perfect to 1900rpm and then boom dumps the clutch. On my pro and my dynaring they both slip perfect from 1000 to 2000rpm, there's no change in slip

Definitely one of the EXP 2.0 products.. 👍

Going the EXP 2.0 only give you the auto clutch (basic) but you are not able to adjust when it engages like for how long it slips or if it slips at all right when you get on the gas.

Are you sure about this? I don't own a core exp but as far as I can tell from the installation videos the exp 2.0 is just as adjustable. The difference is that you adjust the gain at the clutch cable adjuster as opposed to using the pressure plate.

what adjustment would you be talking about? the engagement rpm is set right, and I like the slip amount, it just dumps it right at the end of the slip, instead of being smooth, I'm using half silver half red springs

these are not real rpm numbers, but they are the best I can do to explain

1000 is fully disengaged

2000 is fully engaged

mine slips perfect to 1900rpm and then boom dumps the clutch. On my pro and my dynaring they both slip perfect from 1000 to 2000rpm, there's no change in slip

What's the slippage setting set to ie. (1 full turn + 0 to 3 ticks past that full turn) this is the setting on the inside of the Rekluse Pressure Plate?

Also if you are running on a 450 in the woods I'd suggest at least all the HD springs you have (all blue, from what the kit includes). Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are on the 450 (assuming) your kit should have came with Blue and Red springs. 3 of each were installed for their medium/recommended setting.. The blue must have wore off and now are gold?

idk what would be wrong unless some how you warped a disk or your fibers are about out.

Are you sure about this? I don't own a core exp but as far as I can tell from the installation videos the exp 2.0 is just as adjustable. The difference is that you adjust the gain at the clutch cable adjuster as opposed to using the pressure plate.

Yes, you cannot control the amount it slips before engagement. The Rekluse Pressure plate (included in EXP CORE )and new clutch nut have to be installed before you can have the ability to adjust slippage.

there are red, blue, and gold exp springs. These regulate when the engagement occurs. The exp comes stock with 3 red (soft) and 3 blue (medium). The gold springs are heavy. Thus you can regulate about what rpm the clutch begins to grab. I thought the all blue setup would be ideal so i could idle the bike up a bit.. however it slowed the rate of engagement in my opinion, and thus the hit was very soft.. You need to run the heavier pressure plate springs the kit comes with as well. I liked the softer clutch lever pull my stock springs gave, but this made the exp slip even more.. thus the rear wheel would not dig in when in got on the gas from around a tree in the woods. It was like a "rubber band" feel.

There are also other colors EXP springs besides, red, blue, and gold that can be used, but the gold is heaviest followed by blue.. So it's irrelevant really 👍

There are also other colors EXP springs besides, red, blue, and gold that can be used, but the gold is heaviest followed by blue.. So it's irrelevant really 👍

didn't know there were other ones, I tried a couple different combos but am finding the 3red/3blue is working ok.. just still may try the heavier wedges for even more hit when you get on the gas at lower rpm. The 6 blue seems to slip even a bit more? havn't even tried the 3gold/3blue yet..

There's 3 variables on these new core exp 2.0's, someone correct me if I'm wrong

dial setting

spring color

wedge weight

what do each of these control?

There's 3 variables on these new core exp 2.0's, someone correct me if I'm wrong

dial setting

spring color

wedge weight

what do each of these control?

i just have the exp2.0 , not the exp core2.0.. the gain is set at the clutch lever on the basic exp2.0, where on the core it is set on the clutch pressure plate "dial" behind the cover. The more expensive core gives you a totally stock feeling clutch lever, with a little free play as normal.. the exp does not have free play when at idle, you set the "gain" by reving the motor and dial in the clutch play till it comes back 1/8" when you rev. Too much/too little and the clutch won't work right or slipps all the time (bad)..

I am still trying to figure out the spring colors of the exp and wedge weights. I was initially told the different color springs simply determine at what rpm the wedges begin to move out, so you can raise the idle a bit with say all blue or blue/gold. (all red or red/blue would begin to engage the clutch with pretty standard idle setting). The WEDGE WEIGHT i was understanding would determine how hard the clutch would "hit" when it does begin to engage.. standard wedges are what are sent, heavier optional wedges cost $99 and i havn't tried these yet. The 6 wedges are simply weights that ride on a ball bearing that is on a ramp.. when you rev the motor, the weights ride up the ramp pushing the exp ring apart and engaging the clutch. heavier weight.. faster engagement=harder "hit"

the core exp 2.0 has a "more" stock clutch feel, it still varies by rpm, but not as bad as the older versions, the more you spend the closer to stock it feels, mine also has a better idle disengage than the pro and dynarings I have, but I think I'm trading off a little bit on downhill engine braking, I've not tested that much yet, I'll have to be careful, my pro & dynaring wont freewheel unless the engine is off.

mine has the rpm's set perfect, and engages at the right amount for me, but it dumps the clutch when it's about 90 % of the way to full lockup, when it does this, it pulls the bike rpm's down a bit

I'll have to call rekluse and ask them what could be wrong

the core exp 2.0 has a "more" stock clutch feel, it still varies by rpm, but not as bad as the older versions, the more you spend the closer to stock it feels, mine also has a better idle disengage than the pro and dynarings I have, but I think I'm trading off a little bit on downhill engine braking, I've not tested that much yet, I'll have to be careful, my pro & dynaring wont freewheel unless the engine is off.

mine has the rpm's set perfect, and engages at the right amount for me, but it dumps the clutch when it's about 90 % of the way to full lockup, when it does this, it pulls the bike rpm's down a bit

I'll have to call rekluse and ask them what could be wrong

i would call them, something does not sound dialed in right. The less expensive exp believe it or not, is actually easier to dial in as the gain is done right at the lever. You don't have to pull the cover off, so you can make adj. right on trail. The expCORE i think will be fine once dialed in, are you sure the gain is set right? If your looking for low rpm engagemnet, may try the all red springs.. but call em, they are very good about over-phone support, just i have talked with 2 different techs about getting more "hit" and had a couple different answers..

the rpm is perfect, as is the amount of hit

it just freaks out and dumps the clutch at 95 %

As Melk-Man said, I'd give them a call. They are super cool about have hours of testing so probably know how to fix your problem.

I have the Core EXP 1.0 in my 09 and 11. I have lighter wedges + all blue springs + iddle slightly up. My main issue was pop-stalling doing MX

Just call them, they took care of me from the other side of the pond. Great customer service