Sign in to follow this  

lighting options

i have a baja designs dual sport kit on my X the light pretty much sucks at night. while it is better than stock....not by a whole lot.

so what i am wondering is what would be some good alternatives.

heres what i have come up with so far.

1. keep the baja designs set up get a higher watt bulb and and get high power stator/re wind stator.

2. 8" HID or halogen new or re wind stator

3. dual 4" halogen new or re wind stator

i see you can get 200+ watts out of an XRR can this be done with an X? everything i see is between 100-110 watts.

i am open to all suggestions / ideas

i have a baja designs dual sport kit on my X the light pretty much sucks at night. while it is better than stock....not by a whole lot.

1. keep the baja designs set up get a higher watt bulb and and get high power stator/re wind stator.

i see you can get 200+ watts out of an XRR can this be done with an X? everything i see is between 100-110 watts.

The stock X stator needs to be re-wound to get any light out of any lighting system more than 10% improvement over stock.

Airtime HID and Baja Designs both make lightweight compact HID systems, and will re-wind your stator.

DSCN7422a.jpg

BillKrannie029.jpg

DSCN7370.jpg

Rewound stator by Baja Designs and Airtime HID is good setup that you can leave on bike permantly for any type of riding. 8" style lights can be a bit bulky to leave on for day rides and that is why I chose the Airtime setup, plus it has hi/low beam setup.

the air time set up looks really good clean and its not big bulky lights

what i dont understand is that a new 100 watt stator cost just as much as a re wind.

can you get more than 100-110 watts out of a re wind? thats the only way i see it being worth it right now. unless there is something i dont know about.... which is probably the case.

what i dont understand is they can get 200 out of an xr and only 100 out of a crf. anyone know the answer or reason to that?

the air time set up looks really good clean and its not big bulky lights

what i dont understand is that a new 100 watt stator cost just as much as a re wind.

can you get more than 100-110 watts out of a re wind? thats the only way i see it being worth it right now. unless there is something i dont know about.... which is probably the case.

what i dont understand is they can get 200 out of an xr and only 100 out of a crf. anyone know the answer or reason to that?

Yeah, there is no room on the CRF stator to make bigger/taller windings, and even then there is only so much magnet on the CRF flywheel. The XR flywheels have twice as much mass and magnets.

cool. that makes perfect sense. thank you.

but but with a dual sport kit and that air time hid with 2x35watt bulbs i dont even think it would draw the full 100watts so it would be the perfect set up for those times you end up having to ride back in the dark

cool. that makes perfect sense. thank you.

but but with a dual sport kit and that air time hid with 2x35watt bulbs i dont even think it would draw the full 100watts so it would be the perfect set up for those times you end up having to ride back in the dark

You need to rewind the stator, period.

yes, i understand that. i was just saying that i dont think it would draw the full amount of the rewound stator is all. might also help keep the battery charged a little better as well

Depending on what your riding will drasticly change what lighting you want.

Personaly I only use trailtech stators and lights.

if your racing high speeds in the dust, scratch the HID and go hallogen, the light is yellow and dosn't reflect on the dust as bad. Riding hid in the dust is like a white out snow storm.

Any other condioins I use Hid.

I perfer the 8" race light becouse you get a wide spread of light and a very long projection.

Secondly a thing to consider is that at higher speeds a bike light only lights were the bike is pointed, not where your looking.

You definalty want a helmet light to look through corners.

I spoke to Deanne from BajaD at the Offroad Expo this weekend and she showed me their new LED. And she said that they will be using a different headlight shell for this new set up which will be 2 of their new LEDs mounted in the shell. I think she said it was a Polisport shell. I haven't seen the set up but the light itself is super bright and super light weight. I would also stay away from aftermarket stators, rewind your OEM one.

We offer the the rewind of the stock stator and provide the necessary rectifier/regulator for $125.

If I can help....

#1.

Rewind your stator. No matter what you go with.

And utilize your current (BajaD) headlight, which accepts H4 style bulbs. That headlight, can be made to give you plenty of light. No need to go to 8" race lights, as they DO NOT give you a lot of light out to your peripheral. No need for a helmet light if you use your BajaD headlight you already have. But it'd behoove you to go HID!!! You can go with single elemented HID bulb, or a dual xenon HID bulb with high and low beam. ....TRUST ME on this, as I've been using HID since '86 and testing new and better lighting from HID to LED for the past 5yrs.

... the new LED from BajaD is costly (and a different looking shell, want a picture? I got one), and claims some 3600 lumens, but still doesn't have the "throw" (ability to project light down the road) capability a properly installed and focused HID does. LEDs are getting there, but not something I'd use for high speed (over 65mph) just yet. I know someone working on an HID/LED combo, which will be the light to have... available soon I'd think. 👍