Sign in to follow this  

2009 kx250f idle is erratic

I just finished replacing the piston in my sons bike. When we went to start it it started ok but will not idle correclty. Sometimes the idle is to high and other times its to low. It acts like the hot start is stuck open causing it to run lean( it backfires on decel more than normal). I took the hot start cable and valve out of carb cleaned it but no help. I cleaned the neutral switch connection and it then idled and ran fine. Took it to the track ran 4 laps no problem. Let it sit for 15 min. then when restarting it was back to not idling correctly again. Any ideas?

I went back and checked cam timing ok. I checked the resistance of the neutral switch found it is at 6 ohms in neutral and goes open when I put it in gear which is normal but the 6 ohms seems high. I grounded the neutral wire to the side case and it seems to have dropped the idle. I cleaned up the connection again and its running fine again. If I unplug the neutral switch the idle goes high. Does anyone know what readings the throttle position switch should have as far as resistance values. I never removed or adjusted the carb during the piston replacement and it ran fine before. Also I'm noticing a little oil coming out of the weep hole on the rt side of the cyl head. I have no idea why that is happening.

Edited by tadamx20
need more info